Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Central locking - automotive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makaram

Hey guys,
If there are any automotive experts lingering perhaps you could shed some light as to how exactly the master of the central locking system works. E.g. you push the lock down and all doors lock, or how the key comes into the whole process.

I understand about the actuators and how all that jazz works I am just perplexed by the control lock.

Here's an example diagram I've found

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/11/14243.pdf

Thanks

The doorlock barrel assy often just has a microswitch or a bespoke switch made by the lock manufacturer which connects back to the security ecu, and the interior lock button varies from manufacturers, I've seen one where the button connected through a rod to the door lock catch assy, and then the same rod extended to the lock servo motor which had a microswitch within it, the same switch that tells the ecu the latch is locked ot not, presumably if the ecu detects that the lock opened then it uses the signal to open all the othwer locks.

I hope you have honest intentions about gleaning this kind of knowledge.

Every manufacturer, and every year / model will have a different operation method. The service manual is a must have as there is a dedicated microprocessor to handle the central door locking. Add peripherials as internal motion sensors and remotely radioed key codes + optional systems to make it harder.
My LandRover has such, and interacts with other on-board compfusers increasing perplexity.

Thanks for the replies.
I am more concerned with older cars (predating remote doors) and appreciate that all manufacturers will have slightly different methods but surely there is some basic fundamentals that all companies roughly use. For example when popping, does the door glance over a contact on its transverse which signals the other relays? If not, how does the toggling of the master door send its signal?

I think I know what your asking now.
Theres usually a switch that the locking device has that tells the security ecu whether the device is in the locked or unlocked position, if the device suddenly goes to the unlocked position, ie the 'open' switch is made then the ecu assumes that the door was just unlocked with the key(as in the key was manually placed in the lock and turned rather than the radio remote), and responds by opening all the other doors.
That might have the drawback that if you crowbarred the lock then you'd open all the doors, but if you were in anyway the situation wouldnt be much worse, and theres the benefit of if the emerg services barred the lock then they'd instantly have access to the whole vehicle.
There are some tricks you can do but I'm not going to mention those here.

Last edited:
Looks like the object is figuring out what's in the "black box".

Locks are a lot simpler than windows.

So your basically done. The driver's and passenger door lock/unlock switches are wired in parallel.

You have to decide how the lock system works 1ndd in some cases this can be programmed using of all things the "Radio".

Some programmable aspects are "child locks" where the rear buttons won't work period. Usually the manual locks work. Another programmable aspect is "auto door locking" when the vehicle is in motion.

Since locking is now a function of the vehicle, it makes sense to add some protection from holding down the lock button. If you want a consumer friendly product that's kid friendly, you would make holding down a button provide a brief pulse to the lock actuator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back