Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cellular chip antenna feedline width

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryammagdy

I have a chip cellular antenna from Pulse W3544B. In the datasheet it is said to make the transmission line 1.34 mm thick which I feel is too huge and also I wanted to make a strip line for impedance matching and according to online calculations the thickness of the strip line is determined according to my dielectric and layer properties. I got 0.325mm. I'm confused which to use?

I meant the width not the height sorry

OK so somewhere around 1mm +- a bit ... haven't got a calculator handy would be in the ballpark
actual width will depend on PCB thickness, Dielectric constant, whether there is a ground plane on the under side below the track
etc

Their intention is for you to provide a 50 ohm microstrip transmission line. You should ignore the 1.34 mm dimension shown for their evaluation board and design your microstrip width to suit your dielectric thickness, layer properties (like dielectric constant) and coplanar groundplane spacing. If you got .325 mm that is likely the correct one to use.
My quick calculation, assuming use of FR4, indicates that your groundplane layer is roughly .008 inches below your outer layer for that width to be 50 ohms, roughly. Is that a close guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back