Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cellphone charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaRyu

Is it possible to charge a cellphone using other cellphone?
I'm thinking connecting two cellphones and the other takes the charge of the other. Sharing battery life? opinions please

Not without removing the battery from one cell phone and making connections directly to the battery. There is not a external connection to the battery on any cell phone I have ever seen. The charging port on the cell phone is specifically designed so that there is no voltage on the charging pins with the charging cord unplugged.

Not without removing the battery from one cell phone and making connections directly to the battery. There is not a external connection to the battery on any cell phone I have ever seen. The charging port on the cell phone is specifically designed so that there is no voltage on the charging pins with the charging cord unplugged.

How about creating a modified port specifically for that purpose?

Good luck with that. Phones are to small these days. It would also never charge all the whay without a boost witch would drain the other battery fast.
Just not a good idea.

He asked if it would charge. It is extremely inefficient.

Source phone boosted 3.8v LiIon to 5v for USB OTG at about 80% switcher conversion efficiency. Destination phone linear regulates (usually) down to LiIon battery voltage (3.5v to 4.2 v), about 77% avg efficiency. Net battery to battery is therefore about 60%.

Just a matter of how desperate you need a charge. Also will be limited to 100 mA's or less charging current by source phone. If destination phone does not respect OTA protocol request/grant for current and tries to suck more then 100 mA's the source phone may immedately terminate its 5v sourcing.

If you continue to operate destination phone while attempting to charge at <100 mA you may likely be consuming more then putting in and continue sinking the destination phone's battery.

Last edited:
He asked if it would charge. It is extremely inefficient.
He also asked for "opinions please"
So yes;
"Just a matter of how desperate you need a charge."

Hi,

I welcome any kind of charging just about, as long as it works. In a storm when your phone doesnt work, you'll do just about anything to get a charge so it works :)
Of course i cant recommend this for everyday use, but for emergencies it can come in handy. Im working on ways to get mine charged in different manners too now since the 'big' storm Sandy hit the East Coast.
Good luck :)

Just a matter of how desperate you need a charge
If phone A has enough juice to feed phone B why not just ignore phone B and use phone A to make calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back