Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cell phone to land line phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KodysGrandma

Is it possible to send a cell phone call to my old land line phone which NO LONGER HAS A NUMBER associated with it. Basically I ditched my land line service (Panasonic KXTG7178 instruments ) but find my cell phone (Moto E4+) is always too far away. It does have Bluetooth and my former land line phones say they can pair with a bluetooth cell but the critical question is do I have to have land line service? Panasonic instructions tell me the cell must be near the Panasonic which leads me to think maybe it can be done. Zero electronics background so really in the dark and would appreciate enlightenment?

Bluetooth is short range, so there's not much point - if your cellphone is 'too far' away, then it won't connect to your Panasonic anyway - and if it's close enough, just answer the cellphone.

Just try it and see, there's no 'electronics' involved, just reading the instructions - or borrow a young child!.

You might be able to do so if the landline phones have a intercom function.
Some cordless landline type phones can be used to call & talk from one of the phones in a pair to the other without using the phone line.
Range will still only be that of the phone in the first place.
This might be possible in your case, ask said youngun to work it out for you.

Bluetooth is short range, so there's not much point - if your cellphone is 'too far' away, then it won't connect to your Panasonic anyway - and if it's close enough, just answer the cellphone.

Just try it and see, there's no 'electronics' involved, just reading the instructions - or borrow a young child!.

Guess I wasn't clear. I would of course set the cell phone next to the Panasonic and then go on to the other myriad chores always awaiting me. There are unfortunately no young children in my neighborhood, most of us widows 75+

You might be able to do so if the landline phones have a intercom function.
Some cordless landline type phones can be used to call & talk from one of the phones in a pair to the other without using the phone line.
Range will still only be that of the phone in the first place.
This might be possible in your case, ask said youngun to work it out for you.

They do have an intercom function. As noted above no youngun's within range. Wish there were

Those ones, mentioned in the previous posts, require a separate cell phone account and cell phone number. If you'd like to have something that works with your existing cell phone, you can use a Cobra PhoneLynx:
**broken link removed**
You can get them from Walmart or Amazon. I use one of these because I also ditched my landline a couple of years ago, but like the convenience of using a standard landline phone. The PhoneLynx makes the old landline phone work almost exactly like it used to. You can dial out calls from the landline phone, the caller ID works on the landline phone, etc., incoming calls will ring the landline phone. Since it works over bluetooth, you need to keep your cell phone within a reasonable distance of the PhoneLynx. Mine works as long as my cell phone is within about 40 feet of the PhoneLynx. It's also a good idea to limit the length of connecting cord between the PhoneLynx and the landline phone, because I found that with more than about 20 ft. of phone cord, the caller ID info becomes erratic (but the audio quality is still just fine).

Edit: Sorry, I misread your original post. I missed the part where you said the Panasonic can pair with a cell phone. In that case, it will most likely work without any additional hardware, but you will have the bluetooth distance limitation. If the panasonic phones are cordless types, then you're probably okay as long as the cell phone is located near the base unit.

Last edited:
Those ones, mentioned in the previous posts, require a separate cell phone account and cell phone number. If you'd like to have something that works with your existing cell phone, you can use a Cobra PhoneLynx:
**broken link removed**
You can get them from Walmart or Amazon. I use one of these because I also ditched my landline a couple of years ago, but like the convenience of using a standard landline phone. The PhoneLynx makes the old landline phone work almost exactly like it used to. You can dial out calls from the landline phone, the caller ID works on the landline phone, etc., incoming calls will ring the landline phone. Since it works over bluetooth, you need to keep your cell phone within a reasonable distance of the PhoneLynx. Mine works as long as my cell phone is within about 40 feet of the PhoneLynx. It's also a good idea to limit the length of connecting cord between the PhoneLynx and the landline phone, because I found that with more than about 20 ft. of phone cord, the caller ID info becomes erratic (but the audio quality is still just fine).

Edit: Sorry, I misread your original post. I missed the part where you said the Panasonic can pair with a cell phone. In that case, it will most likely work without any additional hardware, but you will have the bluetooth distance limitation. If the panasonic phones are cordless types, then you're probably okay as long as the cell phone is located near the base unit.
Thank you so much. This sounds like exactly what I was looking for. When my husband was living we used 5 instruments in different rooms but 3 now would save me a lot of running for the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back