Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ceiling fans starting full speed - Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little OT, but my log home has high ceilings ( pitch = 12:12) and lots of ceiling fans. The problem is that two of them are on a single beam in a large room (26' x 26' with 26' ceiling) and it is impossible to keep them synchronized so they don't "beat". In the olden days, multi-engine aircraft had "synchrophasers" (e.g., B-29). I have been keeping an eye open for something that will do the same. Needless to say, they are hard to reach.

synchrophaser
Fan motors synchrophaser using chain gears. Some assembly needed.
upload_2018-2-4_15-50-15.jpeg

synchrophaser

Fan motors synchrophaser using chain gears. Some assembly needed.
That picture reminds me of a splash screen in some piece of software which I used during my "day job".
The picture in the screen was a 3D CAD drawing of 3 or 4 gears which could never ever mesh together, the pitch of the teeth was all wrong. That felt quite appropriate, in several ways.! :eek:

JimB

Looked into this further and came up with this.
Before the DIAC triggering device fires, the capacitor must charge to 28 or so volts. However, if the voltage at the end of the cycle is insufficient to trigger the DIAC, the next half-cycle starts with C1 charged in the incorrect polarity so that it takes all the longer for C1 to discharge through zero and then charge to the opposite threshold.
After the DIAC initially fires, this condition changes substantially so that the phase delay angle is reduced and the motor snaps on at a minimum rpm –sometimes higher than desired .
Circuit can be modified to prevent this if needed.
Max.

That picture reminds me of a splash screen in some piece of software which I used during my "day job".
The picture in the screen was a 3D CAD drawing of 3 or 4 gears which could never ever mesh together, the pitch of the teeth was all wrong. That felt quite appropriate, in several ways.! :eek:

JimB

My schools chapter of the ASME had a logo with three gears meshed together in a triangular formation. The teeth would fit, but due to the rotation direction of gears 1 and 3 this arrangement could never move. I always found that kind of funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back