Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CDI or TDI junkyard ignition rig for 76 CB750 moto

Status
Not open for further replies.

davefishsound

Howdy there, Electro-Folks! Newbie to this space so greetings and salutations as needed.

Digital multi-media artist/performer with emphasis on audio/visual UX , so soundguy/stagecrew/videographer/musician/designer type is a quick synopsis of my Circum Vitae. But I do many many trippy things in between gigs. And I am convinced that nearly anything can be worked around, repaired or repurposed to a satisfying end.

At the moment. I am digging for info on a DIY CDI or TDI setup for my old 1976 Honda CB750 motorcycle IMG_3615-2.JPG. Trying to go solid state and ditch the mech points. Have tested coils from Subaru and Dodge Neon but ohmage was causing coils to get WAY too hot so went back to stock 5ohm setup. Currently toying with mid90s Honda Accord pickup coils and rotator for pulse generation. IMG_3682-2.JPG Haven't landed on quite the right igniter module choice yet. Leaning towards the Subaru setup, as that is my winter rig of choice here in Spokane, Washington, USA (36302.1906, Town and Country, WA 99208)

So, thanks for opening up your door for the NKOTB and I look forward to any links, ideas experience or failures that might flow my direction as I chase down my open hi-ways and digi-bi-ways.

Many have used the GM HEI module and keep the points. The points in that situation are just a low amperage switch and don't carry the amperage of the coil. They also use the GM coils. Here is one of them Google may show others - **broken link removed**

There is another member here that is good with anything ignition related, debe . He has in another thread on this site shown how to do it using Ford parts. Maybe by this post using his name he will chime in on your project.

yO, shortbus=, Thanks for the heads up on the GM HEI modules! Now running a truly global ignition system. Sealed gel battery from China, runs to the rebuilt killswitch from a 98 v45 Magna then to a 3 way split between an old Mopar ballast resistor (which I'm not sure I need any more but DID before I got all the pieces in place)right before current gets to the 06 Subaru coils, travels down 74 Volvo Bosch plug wires to NGK plugs while the other 2 leads from killswitch each go to a GM 7-pin 466 HEI module, one from a 84 Caddy Eldo, the other from an 86 Buick Regal which are being fed pulses from the pickup coils off a couple of Dodge Tradesman vans, one a burnt out motorhome shell the other an actually old trades dudvces rig, not sure which trade but leaning toward a plumber. With a handmade, custom 1 off reluctor by your truly. Now to find a replacement for the points cover, which I had been thinking about replacing for quite some time...

Pics to follow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back