Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CD-Rom Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedudex2

I have a old CD-Rom Drive I am not using. I got a connector with female end that goes to the CD-Rom Drive to the Power source. On the other end I am hooking up a external power source.

This is just a gage project where I will swap the drives. I am planing to use a 9v battery + x2 AA batteries. This give me the 12V I will need to run the CD-Rom Drive. My picture below shows that when you connect the CD-Rom Drive to the power source, you are connecting four wires. I am not sure what wires to use and what wires to cut off. They are as follow...

Red +5 Black Black GND Yellow +12

All I need this funny cd drive to do is open and close. Nothing else.
Picture 030..jpg

I would think you would need both the +5 and +12 supplies to get it to work, Also I dont think a 9 volt battery and 2 AA batteries will provide enough current to run the loading motor.

Hmmm guess I gotta break out the digital meter and size up the voltage then. It was just on the case it said 5V 1.2A/12V 0.7A

why don't you do something more challenging? I built gearboxes for my RC battle tank out of CD drives.
**broken link removed**

Here is the picture of the bad boy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back