Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cash For Clunkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read a story about the extra $2 billion, which doesn't seem like enough, considering how fast the first billion was used. Seems like a damn shame that all the 'clunkers must be crushed. Not a big fan of the program, but it's better than bailout-bonuses. At least, many people will get to drive a new car for a while, before it gets repossessed.

That's a real shame about the used buses, really. Most would be in fair shape, since they get regular maintenance, and are generally driven hard, seldom in accidents. Would figure one bus would be better economy, over the 12 or more vehicles it would take to transport summer camp kids, church functions, migrant workers... Do we want to save fuel, and protect the planet, or generate profits for the politician's friends?

I think they are for the "politician's friends". Guess they have IRA or stocks tied up in the but car companies.

A bus could make a lot of neat things. Strip it and make it into your hobby machine on wheels or a camper, or mobile storage. :D

And now this same government will run health care. If you are too old, time to recycle.

Most busses are in surprisingly great shape. After 5 - 10 years they need someone with a good rivet gun or screw driver to tighten things up but over all the mechanical stuff is still in great shape! Most use similar engines and drive trains to those in smaller commercial trucks that easily push 500K miles without problems. Most busses here dont see 150K miles and we are as rural as a school system can get.
Thats sort of the reason why so many get reused as drive train donors or turned into campers.
Why drive a gas hog pickup pulling a camper trailer and get 4 MPG when you can have your own custom motor home that gets the same or better mileage on the highway.
Some of the bus drivers I know say the stop and go driving still gets around 4 - 5 MPG on most busses. And many of the ones built in the last 15 years will do 75 MPH highway and get 6 -8 MPG!
As a recycler of useful stuff it really does sicken me to see still good equipment get scrapped just because some politician can get it done. Especially over very questionable reasons that have never and likely will never be fully proven or dis proven let alone show any realistic financial savings for the country.

Instead of deal with the real economic and enviromental problems just toss more money at the indirect issues and hope they get better.

In the UK, the "Scrappage Scheme" as it is called, will give £2000 towards the purchase of a new car.
The scrapped car has to be:
More than 10 years old,
Owned by the buyer of the new car for more than 1 year,
Road legal.

When I first heard of this, my first thoughts were "what person who runs a car like that can afford a new car?"

Despite my scepticism, there are a few, older people I guess approaching retirement and thinking that this is a good opportunity for a new car.

However, most people in the UK who drive 10 year old cars are in no financial position to afford a new one.

Having said all that, I realised the other day that my second car a Suzuki Vitara (Suzuki Sidekick to our American readers) will be 10 years old in November and so eligible for this scheme.
However, it is my little toy, it is rough and crude and I enjoy driving it.
So Gordon Brown you can get your thieving hands off it, I will keep it running as long as I can hold a spanner and a welding torch!

JimB

My Trans Am is over tens years old but I have kept it in pristine condition; no dents, less than a 100k miles. I don't drive it much as I usually use my little pickup truck. Considering that Pontiac is no more, I feel I should preserve this 5.7L muscle car.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Before you go logging into that website....you might take a look at this very carefully.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
My 'newest' vehicle, is a '91 Ford Explorer, so would guess it qualifies...

Just wondering if we will survive the whole 4 years of this president. Democrats love to spend money on the quick fix, raise taxes, and cut funds on the more useful programs. This one just didn't have much government experience, so relies on his 'friends' advice on what to do, which of course mostly has do with cashing in on the situation. After this Cash4clunkers deal is done, got a hunch there is going to be some huge stock dumps in the automotive industry, by a number of politicians. It would be interesting to monitor the trading.

The Obama regime has just begun. Like FDR, Obama faces many similar challenges. To me Ob has our best interest in mind and I think he will do what he can to aid in the economic growth of the country.

I would not count him out yet, as he entered an office wrought with problems from previous ownership. Allow him time to make changes, much like the time needed by FDR.

I dunno, I have a good feeling about this Obama guy, I think he is a good guy and will look out for the Joe American and the interest of the rest of the world. Just my opinion.

If anyone thinks they can do better in the office, then put your name on the ballot.

I wonder if the salvage yards will be allowed to part them out of if they have to crush them...d

Certainly here they don't just throw cars in a crusher, as it would be VERY inefficient, and not crush up very small either.

They strip them first, and crush the mainly steel residue.

Certainly here they don't just throw cars in a crusher, as it would be VERY inefficient, and not crush up very small either. They strip them first, and crush the mainly steel residue.

It depends on the location. Some scrap yard specialize in vehicles ans have shredding ans sorting systems. Most others just crush or chop and send off to the smelters.

Around here the local steel recyclers just use the big shearing cranes and chop the whole car up and put it into the rail cars and then its off to the smelters with those.

I have a buddy that owns a scrap yard and I often get to rip up stuff (process) and put it into rail cars. Whole vehicles come in and small chunks go out. Not much sorting is ever done. Its a great way to get your frustrations out! :D

Although most vehicles from the 90's and newer often get burned first. They have too much plastic in them and wont be allowed by the smelters.
too much contaminants! ;)

I wish Mr. Obama gave the tax payers that car money rather than his special interest GM, etc. With a clause for a better mileage car, solar or wind device. If truly it is all about the eco system.

I still think it is a dumb plan. I can go in a new car dealership today and get $3500-$4500 off a new car without trading anything in, so if I took my car I would be out a car, they still made a profit and sold a car. And it was always that way in the 35 years I have bought cars here in the US.

I wish Mr. Obama gave the tax payers that car money rather than his special interest GM, etc. With a clause for a better mileage car, solar or wind device. If truly it is all about the eco system.

I still think it is a dumb plan. I can go in a new car dealership today and get $3500-$4500 off a new car without trading anything in, so if I took my car I would be out a car, they still made a profit and sold a car. And it was always that way in the 35 years I have bought cars here in the US.

The worst part, is that I have never been interested in buying a new car. A 'clunker' will provide the same sort of service to me as a brand new car, and I own it. I usually drive them until they die, meaning that it would cost me a lot more to fix/get fixed, than it would cost to purchase another 'clunker'. With all the clunkers to be crushed, it's going to put a major squeeze on my selection of used vehicles for the next 5 years.

Surprised they would even promote this as an eco-friendly program, since it's going to waste about as much fuel to recycle all those cars, as they gain in economy, plus most of the plastic gets burned off, adding to all the other toxic crap we pump into the atmosphere, plus the energy used to manufacture a new car. Since these clunkers aren't available for parts at the salvage yard, only option will be to purchase new parts. Every window I ever replaced, came from salvage (junk yard). Can only imagine how many days/weeks it would take to order a piece of glass, not to mention the cost...

HarveyH42,

Right, with the power to make new cars, destroy the old ones and the new electric 100 mile range ones he mentioned today on TV in Indiana. They are missing it big time. I think Obama and Gore must have had a beer party at the white house one night, that didn't make the news.

It employees people, OK, still pollutes just as much. Surprised they are not trying to plug volcanoes. Or will Bill Gate do that next after fixing the hurricanes? Google Gates part.

So, I get this electric car. Can I pull an 18' trailer with quad bikes, motor bikes and golf carts on the weekend for my kids? I am not big on boats, but the boat guys are screwed big time. They will never pull a good sized boat with that electric car. I can see the front wheels in the air now.

So how do I take our weekend fun out if they take my 1994 198,000+ mile Ford Explorer away from me?

So, I get this electric car. Can I pull an 18' trailer with quad bikes, motor bikes and golf carts on the weekend for my kids? I am not big on boats, but the boat guys are screwed big time. They will never pull a good sized boat with that electric car. I can see the front wheels in the air now.

So how do I take our weekend fun out if they take my 1994 198,000+ mile Ford Explorer away from me?

Why would you ever think they would just take your truck from you and replace it with a small commuter vehicle?

Be a little rational in your thinking at the very least. Nobody is going to do it for you.

Why would you ever think they would just take your truck from you and replace it with a small commuter vehicle?

Be a little rational in your thinking at the very least. Nobody is going to do it for you.

Not worried about them taking it (anytime soon). More worried about the taxes to own it in the future from the people that are running things now if they make a second term. Having to carry insurance to two cars just for me. I am sure they will tax the old truck by the mile.

Rational? No Republican. But I promise I will not call you if I do need help being rational :D This is ****-chat, maybe you missed that part, lighten up.

But you are right. The rational people are still working on Government controlled health care as well and have for years so I guess my truck is safe.

I think many here, not from the US, can tell you how the .GOV ran health care works. Just glad we do not have it, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back