Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cars radio's light bulbs, 12v or 14v?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the bulbs are most likely in series (removing one bulb should disable the rest of the bulbs or one is burned out and none of the bulbs light)...

Nope, they are wired in parallel. (They are 12V lamps, after all). Converting to LEDs requires cutting some PC traces, and adding some wire.

the bulbs are most likely in series (removing one bulb should disable the rest of the bulbs or one is burned out and none of the bulbs light)
Then how can you drive the car at night with only one bulb burned out?
The bulbs are not in series.

Its kind of weird, I have been playing with it the past few hours. But they are definitely not like Christmas lights.
There are 2 rows of bulbs. Each has its own + and - feeds.
So 4 wires, to power 10 bulbs, whatever...

**broken link removed**

So I guess if I were to go to LED's. I could add a resistor to each bulb, or, between each supply line?

Maybe it uses all of the bulbs for day time and only half for night time when the headlights are on?
Add a resister to each LED and you cannt go wrong. Andy

Last edited:
Light bulbs shine all around. But LEDs usually shine only in a narrow angle that will poorly light the dashboard.
Get LEDs that shine in a very wide angle like in my solar garden lights and in my radio controlled model helicopter.

what year, make, model car is this board out of. maybe a schematic is avaliable on line. then maybe a knowledgable decioion could determine best way to connect LEDs

Dont know, they put these radios in everything. Luminas, Malibus, Monte Carlos, Caprice, Impala, Silverados etc etc etc.
Ive been looking for a schematic for awhile. Not only of the face, but for the rest of the boards.
That face is off a 98 tape player.
Its an Delphi radio,
one of the model numbers is 16210141

Where would I find some LED's with a 360 degree pattern. I checked mouser, but they all seem to be the standard type.

Where would I find some LED's with a 360 degree pattern. I checked mouser, but they all seem to be the standard type.
You would need to make a cluster. Andy

You can't even find lightbulbs with a 360 degree pattern... The back of the bulb will always block out at least a portion of the arc.

Nobody makes an LED with a 360 degrees beam. Yours will be mounted on a circuit board so you need just 90 degrees.
The tiny blue surface-mounted LED on the circuit board of my radio controlled model helicopter has a beam of almost 180 degrees.

yeah, if I thought a little more before I asked I would have realized that.
so, a nearly 180 output, with brightness similar to the overloaded bulb, and similar color, what are my options?

As 4pyros said there is no single led that can do what you want, they simply do not work that way, you'd need a module with LED's aimed in a pattern to disperse the light over the arc you wanted.

Look for LED car replacement bulbs on Google. You'll only find about 9 million results, many that are ready to pop into place.

Last edited:
Got my replacement bulbs, here are my bulb options;
First is a 12v .06a
Second is the stock ?v 0.?a
Third 14v .08a

**broken link removed**

All will fit fine, which should I use?

They all sound the same to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips