Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car mounted PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpc258

Hello guys,

my goal is to build a computer running from the 12v car battery.

I have purchased this power supply to do the trick, but according to the description, it can only be powered by 11.4-12.6V

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-...32629921198.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.ikGPl8

While charging my batteries (Which is almost all the time, as I am usimg solar panels), the circuit voltage is 14,7V.

What is the best way to regulate the voltage so I could run the PC when the charger is running as same as when it is not (night, the voltage may then drop to 13V)

I need a total of at least 30A stable 12V (or so) current (21A for the power supply, 6A for the screen and a little bit more just to be sure :)

Thank you for any advice! Andrew

Some of those micro ATX PSUs are build for the cars, but not sure about this one (even if it says so in the title), rest is build to be powered by power brick that regulates the voltage. Same thing with the computer screen, which is definetly not meant to be used without power brick.

Thanks for the feedback, I just want to be really sure before I try to run it with the rest of the components, which I really dont want to fry..

If you believe that to be the case, then buy a PSU that does what you want - no point buying (or building) two PSU's when you only want one.

However, I see no reason for people to sell 12V PSU's that require a 'power brick' to feed them, just use a normal mains PSU instead.

The wide range input PSU cost almost 4 times the price of this one, not counting the shipping from US. Thats why I bought this one instead.

Point of powering it by the brick is usually to build really small and compact PC case and stuck the power brick under the table etc...

So there is no easy way how to prevent the overvoltage? I am now more concerned about the screen, I will try the PSU with some cheap components first...

The wide range input PSU cost almost 4 times the price of this one, not counting the shipping from US. Thats why I bought this one instead.

Point of powering it by the brick is usually to build really small and compact PC case and stuck the power brick under the table etc...

So there is no easy way how to prevent the overvoltage? I am now more concerned about the screen, I will try the PSU with some cheap components first...

There's no easy, simple, or cheap way of providing a high current regulated 12V from a car battery - but it's relatively stable anyway, I would suggest trying it with 'cheap components' as you mentioned.

I would suggest the claimed input voltage is just 'covering their ass'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back