Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Car charger adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markhad

I have a GPS device with an in-car charger. I wish to charge using it from the mains at home (UK voltage) instead.

Is it as simple as powering it from a 12V adaptor? I believe it is 1Amp. Is this determined by the GPS device or by my car? Can I then use any DC 12V 1Amp charger?

Thanks in advance.

I have a GPS device with an in-car charger. I wish to charge using it from the mains at home (UK voltage) instead.

Is it as simple as powering it from a 12V adaptor? I believe it is 1Amp. Is this determined by the GPS device or by my car? Can I then use any DC 12V 1Amp charger?

Thanks in advance.

Your car adapter reduces the car's 12v supply to some level as required by the GPS unit...You need to find out what this voltage is then find an AC adapter that provides that voltage and at a current capability as demanded by the GPS unit...

As an example: the car charger deice takes the vehicles supply and reduces this to say 7.5v dc and is capable of supplying 1.2 amps...

you need an adapter that outputs 7.5v dc and is capable of supplying at least 1.2 amps..

Clear? I hope so... :)

Perfectly clear. I basically need to find out what the GPS unit needs as it may be less than 12V. I will try and read the spec of the unit or the adaptor and buy one accordingly.

Will a multimeter give the voltage reading if it's not listed?

Thanks for the prompt response.

Last edited:
Have you just looked for the specs on the GPS unit? I have several Garmin products. They have their specs on-line...

You could just get a female cigar lighter socket and wire it to an DC supply that puts out 11V to about 16V at 1A or more. I have several such DC supplies that I bought at garage sales that formerly powered Laptops, Printers, Modem, etc. Most of the 12V DC plug-in adapters contain an IC chip that is a switch-mode step-down voltage converter, and they have a wide tolerance of input voltages...

It's not a garmin but I have found the spec online: 4.5 - 5.5V and 0.5A. I'll buy a mains adaptor for this spec and the idea of a car adaptor is good.

Thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back