Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor Values

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerhard123

I should've said this. I'm a musician, I need a capacitor for my tone control. I needed a .015 cap disc or whatever. The store gave me a .0015M. Is this correct??

.015 looks more like .015nF
no, it's 15nF. the OP needs 0.015uF. usually 0.015 with no other information (the "M" on the OP's cap from the store is the temperature coefficient) means 0.015uf. microfarads are assumed, unless the caps are very small, in which case, picofarads are assumed. caps newer than about the year 2000 will be marked with a 3 digit code, such as 153. you have two significant digits and a multiplier. 153 would be the correct code for the value of cap the OP is looking for.

no, it's 15nF. the OP needs 0.015uF. usually 0.015 with no other information (the "M" on the OP's cap from the store is the temperature coefficient) means 0.015uf. microfarads are assumed, unless the caps are very small, in which case, picofarads are assumed. caps newer than about the year 2000 will be marked with a 3 digit code, such as 153. you have two significant digits and a multiplier. 153 would be the correct code for the value of cap the OP is looking for.
Thank you, I appreciate the explanation. I was glancing at conversion chart I had for caps and the one that stood out for for .015 was nf, but I see where my error was now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back