Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor substitution question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

im fixing a smd rework station. I found a bad triac that was preventing the heating element from working. I also found 2 capacitors with an ESR of over 9 ohms. I was able to find one of them im my parts bin and replace it, but I have a question about the other one. the capacitor(C6) is a 1uF 50V, but the silk screen on the circuit board says that C6 is 10uF 16v. the unit was working just fine before the triac blew, but if I don't have a 1uf, can I sub in anything between 1uF and 10uF assuming the voltage rating is matched?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 218
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    912.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 206
You can check the capacitor when you take it out, but the size looks like 10Ufd. Since we don't know where it is in the circuits it would be best to use the same value.

Hi Lokeycmos,
Great work on getting this far on your repair but this is a tricky question for anyone to answer!
You would have to ask yourself several questions here.....
Did this unit go faulty because the wrong capacitor was fitted in the original manufacturing stage?
Or was this a Revision 2 modification deemed necessary by the manufacturer who continued to use a batch of 1st revision pcb's?
Perhaps a way of being certain, (if you cannot obtain the manufacturers service / repair manual), would be to trace out where this capacitor is used within the main circuit. .... i.e. draw capacitor and trace where each of its leads go to using the copper tracks on the pcb to guide you. You may get lucky and find it goes to a certain pin on that multi-pin chip. Then if you look up or Google for that chip's datasheet, it may lead you to what value of capacitor is recommended to be used.
If this unit was operated by its owner for a long time before it failed, I would tend to "play it safe" and replace the capacitor with same value and voltage rating as the one you have removed.
hope this helps,
Rotarymaker

PS. If you trace out where this capacitor is, please post your circuit drawing here and we may be able to further help you decide. Let us know how you get on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back