Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the diode bridge rectifier in my 230VAC (effective voltage) motor inverter circuit I need a filter capacitor. I have found a 470µF/400V= one, but is the voltage rating large enough + is a ripple of around 20V too much? I don't want it to blow off.

I'm assuming that 230VAC is the RMS value which will give a peak value of around 325V so a DC rating of 400VDC should be fine but I'm not 100% sure about the ripple voltage causing any over heating in the capacitor.
Generally the higher the capacitance the better for smoothing and I use a rule of thumb of about 1000uF per amp with a serial regulator but as this is the primary rectifier of an inverter that rule of thumb may not apply.
Most electronic supplier catalogues will give recommended uses for their products.
I'm sure someone on here will do the maths.

BTW. I'm a newbie just joined today hi everyone * waves * :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back