Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor questions 33p 33pf same or not ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo6984

I have been trying to search the web and tried to find out what is true but it has confused me more, it says that most of the time the people stands for pf but also another site says there us a p type but rare I've tried to build this FM transmitter in a YouTube video and it's not working search penny transmitter and the diagram is in the video also in the video it looks like there is one wierd capacitor but my assumption of all the p's and n's standing for pf and nf must be wrong because the circuit doesn't work please any help would be greatly appreciated I'm fairly new to electronics about 6 months in but have fixed and tinkered and tore stuff apart all my life , thanks in advance for any and all help given

The image that is uploaded is a screenshot of the circuit also I assumed that 33 was a 33pf in the circuit due to a tutorial on a site saying that the code for a 33pf is 330 and sometimes they leave off the 0 that if the code on the capacitor is two digits to add a zero hope I was right please someone help

Attachments

• image%3A1742.png
    image%3A1742.png
    87 KB · Views: 130
10p = 10pf, 33p = 33pf
I've never heard of a p type capacitor, that applies to a Fet.
A 10pf might be marked 10, 10p or sometimes 100
A 33pf might be marked 33, 33p or sometimes 330
(the 0 on the end means no multiplier, if it were 1 it would mean one 0, 2 would means two 0's and so on)
If your transmitter doesnt appear to work its probably off the fm band frequency wise, try bending the end few turns on the coil closer togther and further apart, that'll shift its operating frequency, if you still cant get it to work try rewinding the coil with 8 turns, 5 is a bit low.

Last edited:
Are you questioning what is marked on the schematic, or what is marked on some capacitors you have in hand? The schematic is unambiguous.

What is on the diagram is what im needing to know and make sure I SF I did or didn't do the right thing I used pf and nf on the circuit also making sure I was correct to add a zero to the marked capacitor that I have to make it 330 the code for 33pf a site told me two digits on a ceramic capacitor to add a zero

Thank you all for the clarification google was confusing me more as one site said there was a type of p capacitor rare but still out there when I searched is pf the same as p type capacitor and thank you for all of the helpful and really great advice really appreciate it

I have some small value disc ceramic capacitors that are marked 33p, some are marked 33, (they are all 33picoFarads )

Last edited:
Yes. That circuit has been copied from my website with a couple of changes.
The 33p is 33p and can be 33 on the component but not 330 on a ceramic capacitor.
Hundreds of websites have copied my circuits and some have given credit but I can see the signs of my work in every case.

The following is totally false.

A 10pf might be marked 10, 10p or sometimes 100
A 33pf might be marked 33, 33p or sometimes 330

A 33p is never marked 330

Last edited:
The link above is were I found it, the diagram is in the video. So are you saying that the 33p in the circuit is not a 33 picofarad it is something called a 33p because there is one capacitor in the video that looks different than all the rest, really skinny and tall looking, I really wish they exist go ahead and but the second letter there sometimes if there is a different capacitor called a 33p ,it's really confusing because all kinds of sites tell you it's just an abbreviation or it's Europs way of a letter system for picofarad, if there is really a 33p and a 33pf that almost everybody writes 33p with all numbers that is really confusing

I usually use a code chart to determine if I'm using the right capacitor as I haven't learned how to calculate the value yet all three digit codes have been correct like 102 is a 1n and 223 is a 22n but when I tried to put 33 into the calculator it said wrong code I had to add a zero to make it 330 to be a 33pf and the code chart said that was the code for a 33pf even though they only say 33 on them

Really I just want to know if i did the right thing by putting a 33pf there and if someone could watch that video that can eyeball a part by the look of it that would be awesome because one of those capacitors don't look like a regular ceramic capacitor it looks more like a plactic outer shell kind that is really skinny and long the video link is in one of these post however you can find it quick by typing Penny transmitter into YouTube its the only one and will be on top please confirm I'm not going crazy and that cap is definitely different than all the other ceramic capacitors and if it can't be determined what it actually is then I will start new in a new design thanks everyone again and sorry this is so long and drawn out

Here is the chart I use to determine my caps so your not just taking my word thanks again everyone and please check out that video to see that one wired capacitor in the circuit

Attachments

• image%3A1745.png
    image%3A1745.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 121
I have to argue with that one.
I have some 22pf caps marked 220, and some 100pf marked 101.

Yeah that's what my chart above says to and my caps say on them that 22pf is code 220 and 22nf is code 223 and 100pf marked 101

That makes sense to me, and I'd go with it for now.
Note however there is probably more than one numbering scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back