Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor length/volume, does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to replace a broken capacitor in an ATX power supply for a desktop PC. The capacitor is 2200 uf, 10 V, so I find e.g. this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shipp...315952?hash=item2cba7d02f0:g:nccAAOSwRXRZQ0JF

And I notice it looks like it is less than half the height of the original part.

Does that matter? Can I safely use that capacitor as long as it is rated correctly capacitance and voltage, or do I need to look up other attributes as well?

Why are some capacitors much bigger than others, yet rated similarly?

Improved manufacturing processes may allow a reduction in capacitor volume for the same capacitance (assuming it's from a reputable manufacturer, which is an unknown for that ebay item).
Those are probably okay for experimental purposes but I would buy a known brand for replacement in your power supply.

I would strongly suggest you use a capacitor from a good manufacturer, I usually stick to Rubicon or Panasonic - and using low-ESR ones is a good idea.

There's a LOT of cheap crap capacitors about, which is why they fail so much - and a PC is likely to be full of the cheapest ones they could find.

A capacitor of any size may be relatively high in capacitance and low in working voltage and vice versa. Small size capacitor implies a high dielectric constant and a high dielectric constant usually has some disadvantages in many cases.

I seem to remember something about tall thin caps being better at dissapating heat then short stumpy ones, but I can't rememberthe details...

Rated ripple current (which I suppose is related to ESR) is another thing to considder, although you might not be lucky enough to find a datasheet for your original part.

Nichicon also is a very high quality capacitor, I use them almost exclusively with very good results and long life.
Best regards, Mark..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back