Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor & inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, both of them are energy storage elements. the capacitor stores the energy in the form of an electric field and the inductor stores it in the form of an inductive field.

a capacitor opposes the change in the voltage across it. and an inductor opposes a change in the current through it. a good place to start how capacitors and inductors work is the power supply filter. a single capacitor is normally connected across the output of a bridge rectifier. the bridge rectifier give a full wave rectified DC output. the capacitor smoothes the ripples in the DC output by its property that i told you before "a capacitor opposes a change in the voltage across it"

then move on to filters and then oscillators, study transient analysis and steady state AC analysis. then you would get an idea about how capacitors and inductors work.

if you havent done it yet then its a good time to buy the book "The Art of Electronics". a really good explanation about inductors and capacitors from that book is that they are basically frequency dependent resistances. nice isnt it???

and also read the following article

http://amasci.com/emotor/cap1.html

i hope that helps

Think of them as storage devices

Capacitor's hold voltage
Inductors maintian flux (thus current flow)

V = L di/dt
I = C dv/dt

The golden rules when dealing with these passive components are:

Thou shall not open circuit an inductor
Thou shall not short circuit a capacitor

Well, the timed response is given by

Resistors : v = R * i (aka Ohm's Law)
Capacitors : i = C * (dv/dt)
Inductors : v = L * (di/dt)

Just grab any electronics text. I'm pretty sure they are always covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back