Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor help

Status
Not open for further replies.
The value code on that is 256; 25,000,000 pF or 25uF
No wonder it's massive.

I can believe that would have a significant interference suppression effect.

I'd guess the 100K resistor is a discharge bleeder.

I'm going to sleep now. Almost set myself alight. Smoking in bed not a good idea.

Tv

Almost set myself alight. Smoking in bed not a good idea.
Smoked for about 35 years and ended up on 30 a day at the end, but my last one was around August 2014.
I am still using an e-cig, but it's the better alternative besides using nothing, IMO.
Won't try and tell you to quit, it's not my place to do so, your choice is yours to make.
I actually did enjoy smoking, but not spending the ridiculous amount of money that they cost.

This morning I checked the damage... brand new pillow and pillow case have nice holes in them. Damn thing. Couldn't find it for 30seconds so it merriely burned away. Sigh.

*** Caution - Thread Drift ***

Almost set myself alight. Smoking in bed not a good idea.
This morning I checked the damage... brand new pillow and pillow case have nice holes in them.

Hmmm...
Let me think about this for a millisecond or so...
There is a thread here on ETO with the title about "13 years of STUPIDITY...."

A few snippets cribbed from here:

• Forty-three percent of the deaths were caused by fires that started in the living room. One-third (34%) were caused by fires that began in the bedroom.

Be safe there TV, do yourself a big favour and just stop smoking.

SANCTIMONIOUS PREACHING MODE = OFF;

JimB

Lol Jim ...gives new meaning to the term "hot in bed hahaha". No woman here though. Just me and a dropped burning cigarette.

All the best
Tv

they sell the device for 30$ I was able to find the capacitor on Alibaba with an exact picture but the numbers were 25uf. I have not been able to find a 250uf capacitor for cheap enough to make it worth replacing with my own.
Sorry it's 25uf for the value, thank you I will continue my search for that

Last edited:
I checked the Ebay seller, it has SCAM written all over it, but feel free to waste your time any money on something which (according to the seller) cures cancer, as well as most other perils of the planet.

I checked the Ebay seller, it has SCAM written all over it, but feel free to waste your time any money on something which (according to the seller) cures cancer, as well as most other perils of the planet.

I have some of the devices, and I have a meter to test it.... it reduces it by A LOT. You can take an AM radio and tune to an empty band, put close to an outlet, you will hear the noise produced.
Just removing a 120VAC alarm clock from your bed side will make you sleep better. Once I did I finally was able to sleep more than a few hours.

I have some of the devices, and I have a meter to test it.... it reduces it by A LOT. You can take an AM radio and tune to an empty band, put close to an outlet, you will hear the noise produced.
Just removing a 120VAC alarm clock from your bed side will make you sleep better. Once I did I finally was able to sleep more than a few hours.

Yep, gullible :D

Two points:
1: An appropriate capacitor across the mains can reduce conducted interference; many thing have them included as standard to comply with regulations relating to interference suppression.

2: That will _not_ have any effect whatsoever on people, other than reducing annoyance you would otherwise get, eg. radio breakthrough on your HiFi.

Low level EM radiation, eg within the legal emitted power limits for consumer radio transmitter products (or indeed up to several times that limit) has no direct effect whatsoever on people.

The stray interference emitted by other (non transmitting) electronics is several orders of magnitude lower, so as to not interfere with radio reception.

If removing your clock allowed you to sleep better, then either it was producing audible noise, the light was affecting you (if it had any continuous illumination) or the effect was psychosomatic .

If removing your clock allowed you to sleep better, then either it was producing audible noise.

We had quite a few people over the years complaining about mains hum from clock radios, as they generally sit on a bedside cabinet this tends to magnify the audible hum from the transformer. Sitting the device on something soft, such as a piece of felt, considerably reduces the effect.

Any halfway decent electronic device has noise suppression built in already. Any device that doesn't have it built in isn't worth protecting in the first place!
I second the motion -- SCAM! And, therefore, waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back