Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor help (sawtooth signal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kardzzz

Hi guys, I am using a PIC Micro to generate a signal of 11hz per second (i.e. it pulses 0 and 1 eleven times per second), which will generate a squarewave signal.
I want to modify the signal to output a 'sawtooth' signal. How do I calculate the capacitor value to use?

Is there a formula to use where I input Voltage, frequency etc.

Thanks

A resistor and a capacitor (LP filter) will generate an exponential sawtooth (some curvature in the slope of the sawtooth) with a square-wave input. The higher the amplitude of the sawtooth in relation to the square-wave amplitude (determined by the RC time constant), the more slope you will see. If you select the time constant to give a small amplitude sawtooth and then amplify it to the desired level, the slope can be fairly straight.

If you want a perfect sawtooth with straight slopes, you will need a current source driving the cap, or use an integrator circuit (op amp or transistor).

Three circuits:

Attachments

• SawtoothRC.jpg
    SawtoothRC.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 145
  • SawtoothTran.jpg
    SawtoothTran.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Sawtooth.jpg
    Sawtooth.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 145
Status