Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor, for stability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jony130

Could anybody explain what is the reason to put
such a large capacitor C4 220nF between base of transistors?
Only for stability purpose? If so, why such a large?
Reactance for 1KHz is 720Ω.

Attachments

• tda2030-bd-transistors-amplifier.gif
    tda2030-bd-transistors-amplifier.gif
    60.9 KB · Views: 2,338
The capacitor is the supply bypass capacitor for the amplifier IC.

I call the bypass capacitor for an IC its Supply Bypass Capacitor.

A capacitor is a decoupling capacitor when it is a filter because it is fed through a resistor.

At first,can you tell me your using of this circuit?
I don't use this old circuit. It and a pcb design are shown in the datasheet for the TDA2030A amplifier IC.
The power transistors boost the current of the amplifier IC so that a 4 ohm speaker can be driven with a much higher power.

single supply power amp with a large electrolytic coupling the speaker output...... that's an oldie but moldy....... i still see it done from time to time, but it behaves badly when it clips. this amp could be operated from +/-22V rails, and you could eliminate the output capacitor and the voltage divider that provides +22V on the + input (the three 100k resistors).

the supply current for the chip operates the output transistors, but the supply pins must be well bypassed (but not to ground, as that would defeat the purpose of using the supply pin currents to operate the transistors) for the chip to operate properly. the chip is there primarily for voltage gain (and some current gain) and the output transistors provide most of the current gain. don't try this with an op amp!!!!! most op amps can't be operated above 36V (or +/-18V) and can't source enough current to drive output transistors directly.

also, the supply current for the chip sets the bias for the output transistors, so there's no bias adjustment. this means that most likely the transistors will run a bit hot, since they're probably running a high bias current. the chip will control this to an extent if it's mounted on the same heat sink as the transistors, but it looks like a thermal nightmare....

Last edited:
also, the supply current for the chip sets the bias for the output transistors, so there's no bias adjustment. this means that most likely the transistors will run a bit hot, since they're probably running a high bias current. the chip will control this to an extent if it's mounted on the same heat sink as the transistors, but it looks like a thermal nightmare....
Until the TDA2030 is drawing more than about 900 mA, the current through the output transistors is zero.

When I was in my 20's, I built one of these with a 741 in the middle (different resistor values of course). It was cool. I don't remember if it sounded good.

national semiconductor has a whole App Note devoted to power boosters for op amps..... i forget the AN- number though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back