Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitance meter ranges

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregmcc

I've been googling around for a few PIC based capacitance meters. There's some very nices ones around but they only seem to do low ranges, like up to 100nF or 1uF

How come there's no meters (that I can find) around that measure up to 50uF or 100uF? Does no one measure those values or is it a limitation of pic based meters?

I suppose the reason is because no one really needs to measure those sort of values because they're normally used in applications like decoupling where the value isn't critical.

Hero999 said:
I suppose the reason is because no one really needs to measure those sort of values because they're normally used in applications like decoupling where the value isn't critical.

I think you are correct. In addition, the larger values are most often in larger packages which are well labelled and easy to read.

Measuring the capacitance isn't always a good way of checking whether a capacitor is good or bad, a capacitor can read the correct value and still be bad. There are other factors like increased leakage and ESR that are far more important.

Hero999 said:
Measuring the capacitance isn't always a good way of checking whether a capacitor is good or bad, a capacitor can read the correct value and still be bad. There are other factors like increased leakage and ESR that are far more important.

I have am stereo amp with 60 cycle hum and was going to test it with a capacitance meter I built. You may have saved me a bunch of time. I looks like I need to fine a circuit for a decent ESR meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back