Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cap question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

milocas

I'm new here and need a few questions...
I have a bad Cap on a electronic, It's a 68uf 400v cap....Now i have a 68uf 410v cap....Can i use that cap to replace the 400v?

Are you sure? I dont want to risk frying my board.....
We're sure. The voltage rating is the maximum voltage you should apply to the cap. Anything less if fine (all the way down to 0V).

Cap on a electronic

I have a bad Cap on a electronic, It's a 68uf 400v cap....Now i have a 68uf 410v cap....Can i use that cap to replace the 400v?

Yes!that will be fine
Think of 68uF as the amount of charge it will hold and the $))V is the maximum voltage it will take before the internal insulation will burst out - the voltage at which the dielectric brakes down
No design will be critical to 10 volts on the voltage rating

Depending on the circuit, you might want to check ripple current rating.

Try to also stay with the same "type."
In otherwords, if it is an aluminum electrolytic then use that same kind.
If it is a polypropylene then use that kind. . you get the idea.

The type of dielectric used was likely originally chosen for a good reason that you are not necessarily informed about.

The type of dielectric used was likely originally chosen for a good reason that you are not necessarily informed about.

Sometimes the type of dielectric was originally chosen for bad reasons that the designer was not necessarily informed about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back