Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can't find 60Hz Oscilator!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lac

I'm about building a digital clock, and I have read that I need a 60Hz Oscilator, but I cant seem to find oscilators that low! Every oscilator is rated in MHz not Hz. I only find 60MHz , do the producer mean that 60Hz and 60MHz are the same? Can I use a 60MHz oscilator instead?

Thanks!
Lac.

hmm.. but what if I buy a clockcrystal (32KHz) and then buy 5 decade counters and then devide the frequency down to 1Hz? (32000/10/10/10/4/8=1Hz) weird idea :D , but will it work?

Thanks!
Lac.

What You need exactly 60Hz or 1Hz? Some alarm clock chips need 60Hz clk freq. 60 MHz (or 6 or 3MHz) quartz and decade counters is a good choice. 32768kHz Xtals most of case cheap, but low quality.

Serious? Is that the way to do it? buying 5 decade counters and devide it down? But I have limited space for the chips (ca. 2x2") aren't there any other way to do it?

These chips wil drive 4 LED-Displays that contain 4-6 elemts each. So they will drive ca. 16 displays ( four digital clocks that run simously.)

one hz is a possible output but not 60 hz.
why?

What about using a 555timer IC? but I can't seem to figure out wich combination of resistors and capacitor to use to get 1Hz output. help?

Cheers!
Lac.

Or use a MM5369 IC as the 60 Hz source, these are very accurate and use a commonly available 3.58 Mhz TV colorburst crystal.

For a stable 60 hz use this circuit:

Attachments

• DIVIDER_CKT.jpg
    DIVIDER_CKT.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,562
Lac said:
What about using a 555timer IC? but I can't seem to figure out wich combination of resistors and capacitor to use to get 1Hz output. help?

It would work, but wouldn't be very accurate - a free running oscillator isn't much use for a clock! (think + or - one hour per week!).

if you live in the states, you can get the 60Hz from the outlet. edison doesnt guarantee 120V, but they do guarantee 60Hz. with a bit of circuitry, you can get a 60Hz squarewave. if you live in an area that supplies 50Hz, then perhaps a 555 timer with a trim pot would work for you. some companies used to have 60hz time-base generator ic's. may have discontinued them. perhaps you can find a place that specializes in hard to find ic's.

nope, I live in Norway, here we have 230v 50~60Hz , not accurate. But thanks A LOT for all the help i have recived, I have learnt incredibly much from it.

Cheers!
Lac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back