Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cant achive an astable 555 Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozly

Hi,
before I begin I would like to state that I am a complete newcomer to electronics and I am self-taught so forgive my lack of vocabulary.

I looked up a few tutorials for the 555 astable mode.
like this one: 555 and 556 Timer Circuits

I made the circuit exactly as they told me but I keep getting a steady pulse out of pin3 instead of a square wave. I'm using a 9v battery as my supply and an LED on pin3

Here are a few things I already tried:
1. replacing the 555 timer
2. trying Many diffrent values of resistors and capacitors
3. trying monostable mode(it works)
4. the information sheet says there is an astable mode.

I'm really stuck, If anyone has any suggestions for me I thank you in advance

Have a look at the "duty cycle" parts of the calculation, for a square wave you are looking at a 50:50 (half the time on, half the time off).

FYI: If I recal, at least some, 555 times can't achieve a perfect 50:50 duty cycle, but you can get rather close so you don't need to worry about :)

For resistors Ra and Rb I tried values ranging from 100ohms to 500k ohms (keeping both resistor values the same). and for the capacitor I've tried 100nF to 100uF
To the if Pin3 was giving me a square wave I put an LED there, also tried putting a resistor parallel with a multimeter

For resistors Ra and Rb I tried values ranging from 100ohms to 500k ohms (keeping both resistor values the same). and for the capacitor I've tried 100nF to 100uF
To the if Pin3 was giving me a square wave I put an LED there, also tried putting a resistor parallel with a multimeter

hi,
Look at this link
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/blogs/ericgibbs/125-simple-7555-cmos-timer-calculator-v1-2.html
Download and install as per the instructions, use Astable V2 for 1:1 square wave ouput.

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    10 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

The problem was that I was trying to observe frequencies too high too see with an LED. turns out that if I used diffrent values for Ra and Rb I'll get something that gives a visual demo

one more question though,
I took the connection to ground from the capacitor on pin6 off and the frequency went up.
Can someone explain whats going on?

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

The problem was that I was trying to observe frequencies too high too see with an LED. turns out that if I used diffrent values for Ra and Rb I'll get something that gives a visual demo

hi,
So you used the 7555 calculator, any set up problems.?

No problems i just find that weird that breaking the connection to pin6 still gives me a frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back