Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you suggest a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

>at least the crystal and supporting caps, and the PLL.

Nonnnn! No kidding... are you serious.... wow! common Mark:

I am targetting a budget on two hardware concepts.... the microcontroller and the required memory...That's all... do you get this... jesus Mark I don't think this is rocket science..... All I want is your proffesional estimation of those two components.

I finally squeezed out some ideology of the price ... You have come acroos good .. yes $8.60
for 3000.... the 3000 doesn't scare me nor should it scare you.

Now that we got the uc out of the way, according to your expertise and everything I want to do as I outlined in this post, what would the memory for the Linux os cost. Nevermind the flash memory for my graphics. We are only talking about the memory that holds and is required for Linux. I believe it should be at minimum 2m bytes??? If it is regular flash then are we talking 2 or 3 dollars... right?

Regards
r

$8.60
for 3000.... the 3000 doesn't scare me nor should it scare you.

Scare? I don't understand. Exactly how many of these are you planning to build? The quantity that you need makes a huge difference in price. In low quantities it is $20 per chip.

Mouser has pretty random pricing on 1MB of flash memory. It ranges from $2 to $10 for various quantities and brands with no real relationship between price and quantity- just brand.

Last edited:
I believe it should be at minimum 2m bytes??? If it is regular flash then are we talking 2 or 3 dollars... right?

Regards
r
2MB isn't even close, but your too busy being a smart ass. You can research it yourself. It's not rocket science.

Obviously your knowledge of microcontrollers is minimal to nothing, and your random requests and changing requirements without any kind of explanations don't make it easy to help you.

No. Absolutely not.
Sorry for the absolutely not it wouldn't let me post just No. =)

You started being a smart ass from the begining!

>2MB isn't even close

That's why I ask! But you rather keep info to yourself and treat others as fools so you can sound smart don't you?

In every instance of this post you were rude and showed that you are the smarter one! So you know what, don't worry, I will figure it out!

Next time please try to understand exactly what the poster is asking for and not what you feel the poster is asking for ehh!

I have lost all confidence in your feedback and please do not respond anymore to this post... my time is way too precious!

Robert, you'll have to forgive anyone that comes across harshly here, this board gets INUNDATED with college students asking for free rides on homework assignments wanting full schematics and code for projects without so much as a how do you do, and people that have no clue what they're trying to do attempting to re-invent the kitchen sink without asking. Seeing as how you don't seem to be overly knowledgeable about general design don't try to name parts you want to use from the start (except perhaps the TFT LCD which is the fundamental crux of your idea) It's better to state your idea in full as much as you can with as little technical jargon as possible and as for suggestions. Your post started off just like every other duff out there, even if you yourself aren't.

Hello dknguyen,

I appalogize if I omited to say that my intentions are to purchase in volume. It can go up to 100,000 pieces. So would it be fair to say that a microcomputer system made from a uc and a sram chip and operation Linux can be built under 8$ ?

As for the memory, can we use any kind of sram (flash chip) like the M29W160EB from numonyx ?

finest regards
Robert

<smacks forehead>
Robert, when this is over, you're going to have to let us spank you, I'm sorry that's just the way it's going to have to be =O

I don't know what kind of companies do freelance developing for projects like what you have in mind, but if volume is the name of the game price comes down, you'd have to get price quotes from active engineering companies to get a real idea for what your project would cost.
BTW, if you ever get it off the ground let me know, I would absolutely love such a little device. It's way beyond my skills for sure to come up with an accurate price, there are just too man devices out there and you have VERY soft specs right now.

Hi Sceadwian,

No offense taken.... I appreciate your mediation its very nice of you.

You know, I don't have much experience with Linux or CE and this is why just wanted to know what minimal hardware is required. I think you and dknguyen have been pretty straight forwards and I thankyou both.

We all have been to college and university, but we all didn't learn the same things. DirtyLude just needs a little maturing in the art of capturing the essence of a question, that's all. He should also understand that people like me don't take patronism very well.

nuff said!

See ya buddy!

As for the memory, can we use any kind of sram (flash chip) like the M29W160EB from numonyx ?

SRAM is not FLASH memory. SRAM is RAM while FLASH is ROM. It looks about to be 10x more expensive than FLASH for the same size. So $2-5 for 1Mb (that's Megabit, not megabyte/MB).

The M29W160EB is FLASH ROM, not SRAM.

Last edited:

Sceadwian:

>you're going to have to let us spank you

No problemo! :)

>BTW, if you ever get it off the ground let me know, I would absolutely love such a little >device

Its not just a device, its a very big project, its just due to patents and legalities I can't really say much... you know what mean right?

Well you can surely keep in touch with me by sending me a message in this forum. I come here from time to time!

See ya!

Some people are perfect adults in ever way in real life. Some never learn the nuances of social interaction online. Me, I never learned either, I just fake it really well.

No Robert actually I don't know what you mean, if there are patients involved the entire design you're protecting is already full stated in the patent filing. Also if it's a very big project they you should have personal that actually know what they're doing, anything you post here is at BEST hit or miss and going to be of no use in a truly well thought out professional devices based on hard specs. Especially if you're going to be secretive about it there's absolutely nothing we can do to help. Especially when you confuse SRAM for FLASH.

We all have been to college and university, but we all didn't learn the same things. DirtyLude just needs a little maturing in the art of capturing the essence of a question, that's all. He should also understand that people like me don't take patronism very well.

This is just so absurd. I haven't treated you like a fool. Your lack of knowledge in this area is a fact, not an insult. Your response to free advice is mocking the giver, but you say I'm the one that needs to mature.

People who don't know the technical details of something generally don't know the right questions to ask. Giving criticism on questions is helpful and should be welcomed. If I say pricing individual chips without supporting components makes no sense because you can't buy one without the other, rather than trying to belittle my effort simply state the reasoning behind what you are doing, or say no thanks.

Like Sceadwian is stating.

For a product that you are making 100,000 units of and asking an engineering firm to design, this isn't a question you should be asking here at all. It's the engineering firms job to design the product for you. They create the design and the firmware and they or the assembler can source parts directly from manufacturers with quotes. Generally for a fee you can do a feasibility analysis on what you want.

Asking for quotes on parts that may or may not fit the bill then pricing those parts gets you no where.

Now, this is advice. If it's advice you don't like, don't get angry with me about it.

dknguyen

Yes my mistake, the

M29W160EB is rom flash.

But, I heard that Linux needs some rom aswell and some ram as you specified?

So how much rom and how much ram?

For example I found this link:

My Linux is smaller than your Linux

where it says:

>Rt-Control provides uClinux, a version of Linux for microcontrollers such as the Motorola >68k/ColdFire line, i960, ARM7, and ETRAX chips. uClinux is able to run full-featured in >under 200 KB of RAM memory, with a 1 MB ROM chip (which serves as the boot "disk" >from which the Linux image loads). [Editor's note: there are some limitations in the >multitasking provided by uClinux, due to the lack of MMU. See writeup.]

confused?

Rob

Not just Linux...all computers need RAM and ROM. It doesn't matter what they're running. It's the same difference as the RAM and harddrive your PC...
How much memory you need depends on the software you are running and the tasks that are being done and how they are being done. I don't know how much you need. You're supposed to know that after some investigation.

Last edited:

DirtyLude

All I mentioned (a few posts back) was this:

"Remember all I am asking for is the bare bones hardware requirements. I am not talking about any development tools or LCD or touch screen or power supply or any DC to DC convertor component costs. Neither am I including the pc board here.... just bare bones micro controller system requirements!"

Do you remember this! yes or no?

Okay, and what did you answer to this, God only knows why but here it is:

======================================================
"No.

uC, memory, supporting components, power regulator, connectors, PCB = more than $8, even if mass produced.

(tried entering just 'no', but the message was too short)

..also you would need a touchscreen controller for proper touchscreen, like a TSC2007 or TSC2046.
=========================================================

DIDN'T I SAY THAT I WAS EXCLUDING ANY SUPPORTING COMPONENTS!!!!!!!!!!

>People who don't know the technical details of something generally don't know the right >questions to ask.

Excuse my mixup earlier about ram and rom, but yes I don't completely know the right questions when it comes to Linux, so how about you work with me on this one will ya!

r

Sceadwian

>Especially when you confuse SRAM for FLASH.
Sorry for the mix up

The OP is pretty much what my needs are and any further details would not help my question.

robert

I have A ipaq which is a arm9 that runs linux and came with wce on it it has 32mb rom and 64mb ram and a 2g flash drive for the OS. It takes 300 to 500 mb for any linux sys. to do any thing good with it. That's why I added the 2g flash drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back