Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you provide me a polarity-reversing diagram for colloidal silver maker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A list of peer-reviewed literature on colloidal silver: https://i.ibb.co/q1tkcpM/cs.jpg

Some of other scientific studies and reports on beneficial uses of colloidal/nano silver mostly from peer-reviewed scientific/academic journals. Not an exhaustive list, certainly.

From: “Science Magazine, Translational Medicine” (by American Association for the Advancement of Science)
Study Title: “Silver Enhances Antibiotic Activity Against Gram-negative Bacteria” (Boston Universtity)
Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3771099/pdf/nihms-511274.pdf

Article: “Silver makes antibiotics thousands of times more effective”
Link: https://www.nature.com/news/silver-makes-antibiotics-thousands-of-times-more-effective-1.13232

From: Journal of Environmental Science & Technology (published by American Chemical Society)
Analysis: “120 Years of Nanosilver History: Implications for Policy Makers”
Link: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdfplus/10.1021/es103316q

Study Title: “Antifungal effect of silver nanoparticles on dermatophytes.”
Conclusion: “The results showed nano-Ag exerted activity on the mycelia. Thus, the present study indicates nano-Ag may have considerable antifungal activity, deserving further investigation for clinical applications.”
Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18756112

Study Title: “Antimicrobial Activity and Mechanism of Inhibition of Silver Nanoparticles against Extreme Halophilic Archaea”
Link: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2016.01424/full

Analysis: Silver. I: Its antibacterial properties and mechanism of action.
Link: https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.581.9292&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Study Title: “A mechanistic study of the antibacterial effect of silver ions on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus:”
Link: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/1097-4636(20001215)52:4<662::AID-JBM10>3.0.CO;2-3

Study Title: “Cytocompatible antifungal acrylic resin containing silver nanoparticles for dentures”
Conclusion: “The results show that PMMA-silver nanoparticle discs significantly reduce adherence of C. albicans and do not affect metabolism or proliferation. They also appear not to cause genotoxic damage to cells.”
Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22969297

Study Title: “Inhibition of A/Human/Hubei/3/2005 (H3N2) influenza virus infection by silver nanoparticles in vitro and in vivo”
Conclusion: “These results provide evidence that AgNPs have beneficial effects in preventing H3N2 influenza virus infection both in vitro and in vivo, and demonstrate that AgNPs can be used as potential therapeutics for inhibiting outbreaks of influenza.”
Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3817021/pdf/ijn-8-4103.pdf

Study Title: “Size- and Shape-dependent Clinical and Mycological Efficacy of Silver Nanoparticles on Dandruff”
Conclusion: “Small-sized spherical Ag NPs can be used as an important cost-effective fungistatic agent in formulations for treating scalp problems, since they can be produced in larger quantities and very small amount is required for the desired effect.”
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26792991

Study Title: “Silver nanoparticles are broad-spectrum bactericidal and virucidal compounds.”
Conclusion: “The AgNPs have been found to be effective against many viruses and bacterial species. … It has been shown that AgNPs have got anti-HIV-1 activity and can help the host immune system against HIV-1.”
Link: https://jnanobiotechnology.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/1477-3155-9-30

Study Title: “Studying the Properties of Microdispersed Colloid Silver Nanoparticles”
Conclusion: “Silver exerts both bactericidal and bacteriostatic effect against more than 500 species of microorganisms. The effect of bacterial destruction by silver is 1500 times more than the same concentration of phenol and 3.5 times more than the action of mercuric chloride.”
Link: https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.877.1941&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Study Title: “Antimicrobial Silver in Medicinal and Consumer Applications: A Patent Review of the Past Decade (2007–2017)”
Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6315945/

Study Title: “Antitumor activity of colloidal silver on MCF-7 human breast cancer cells”
Conclusion: “The present results showed that colloidal silver might be a potential alternative agent for human breast cancer therapy.”
Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2996348/

Study Title: “Anticancer activities of silver ions in cancer and tumor cells and DNA damages by Ag+ - DNA basepairs reactions”
Conclusion: “AgNPscaused cancer cell apoptosis, cell cycle arrest and decreased viability of colon cancer cells.”
Link: https://medcraveonline.com/MOJTR/MOJTR-01-00003.pdf

Study Title: “Potential of colloidal or silver nanoparticles to reduce the growth of B16F10 melanoma tumors”
Conclusuion: “Our results suggest that AgC or AgNPs could be useful as an antiproliferative drug, inducing an impairment of tumoral growth.”
Link: https://academicjournals.org/article/article1380210301_Sierra-Rivera et al.pdf

Study Title: Silver Nanoparticles Exhibit the Dose-Dependent Anti-Proliferative Effect against Human Squamous Carcinoma Cells Attenuated in the Presence of Berberine
Link: https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/21/3/365/htm

Nice work.
Some of these are silver ion, some are deal with surface disinfectants (not inside the body), but, in general, good work.

the next step is why areyou trying to use an electrochemical process rather than a simple chemical reduction?

here is a circuit that will change the polarity of an electrode. Your electrode is shown as a blue-highlighted resistor.

the relay toggles between two states and that reverses the current flow.

two photos show each state.

the 555 timer turns on 30sec/off 30sec to activate the magnetic coil on the relay and toggle the switch.

665BCA86-088E-4FF9-974F-D3281C4C9248.jpeg
1361E71A-0844-4A03-A017-796CE50A32D4.jpeg

Nice work.
Some of these are silver ion, some are deal with surface disinfectants (not inside the body), but, in general, good work.
Wow, gophert, I'm surprised and happy that you've found the list good. Thank you. I just wanted to suggest that the matter is not as simple as the FDA seems to insidiously advise; that any positive interest in CS should be fought against. The FDA most probably lacks innocence in this matter but no need to discuss its specifics here.

the next step is why areyou trying to use an electrochemical process rather than a simple chemical reduction?
Obtaining CS by a simple chemical reduction? How? I think the electrolytic method is said to produce the best (finer and more effective) pieces needed; silver ions and nano-particles.

here is a circuit that will change the polarity of an electrode. Your electrode is shown as a blue-highlighted resistor.

the relay toggles between two states and that reverses the current flow.

two photos show each state.

the 555 timer turns on 30sec/off 30sec to activate the magnetic coil on the relay and toggle the switch.
Thank you very much for the circuit. I might be able to use it but I'm not sure if it is specific/finished enough for me because otherwise I'll probably fail to build it on a breadboard in a working way due to my current lack of knowledge. Will the circuit in its current form produce a 30-volt and 0,5 ma power output? Or did you assume I'd be able to handle that? Unfortunately I can't :( I need a ready/finished circuit with each part and each connection defined/shown specifically. Then, I thought, I might later be able to experiment only with pots and capacitors to test some adjustability.

Where did you get the 30v 0.5mA spec?

Where did you get the 30v 0.5mA spec?
A guy considered to be reputable in this subject named Peter A. Lindemann says "The very best voltage for the reaction is 30 volts because the electrodes run the cleanest at this voltage." Bob Beck, who's considered to be the inventor of CS production by electrolysis, suggested 27 volts (3x9v batteries). By the way, when I was checking Beck's data a minute ago, I noticed that a website says Beck later suggested 33 volts. I'll try to examine this later. I remember reading Beck advising very very small currents (0.1-2 ma?) for the colloidal parts to be as fine as possible.

Another guy that attracted my interest is someone called Les Banki. The documentation of one of his CS devices used approximately the values I seek now. His explanation and the picture of the device can be seen here.

In fact, I'm not so sure if there is a single optimum current. Adjustability and testing seem to be important as well. And many of the devices and people I come across around web use much higher values of current. But this is said to produce too big pieces that may be ineffective and riskier in terms of argyria etc. Smaller currents provide finer and probably more effective sizes of silver but then the electrolytic process gets longer and tiresome.

Just get a relay that can handle 30vdc. Add the two transistors to limit current.

If you have two npn transistors available, you can do this

otherwise this if you have two PNP transistors (second image).

Image 1
F6B596C9-2B22-47C1-B856-E3369A766FD0.jpeg

Image 2
1CA5009F-2834-43F7-9F33-D3B9727FCE3A.jpeg

If you want to control the voltage only and adjust the spacing between the electrodes is a simpler option. Closer for more current flow broader for less. Also, you can adjust the concentration of the dissolved solids in your solution to control the current flow. So many options!

Oh, I've seen your latest messages now, gophert. Thank you. I'll examine them before I leave.

Just get a relay that can handle 30vdc.
Do you think this dpdt relay is ok? It says "operational voltages of 5V, 9V, 12V, 24V, 48V, 220V" and "operational currents of "1A-40A" in its explanations.

Add the two transistors to limit current. If you have two npn transistors available, you can do this. otherwise this if you have two PNP transistors (second image).
Oh, I I have some PNP and NPN transistors at hand because before coming to this website I had tried to use a polarity-switching diagram provided in another electronics website. The leads going to the motor would be for silver electrodes instead. I obtained all the pieces shown and tried to build it on a breadboard but probably because that circuit wasn't specific to my needs (or due to faulty connections on my part), it didn't work and I didn't (and don't) know how to modify it to my needs. I emailed the guy for help about it but didn't receive an answer. So, I have the transistors shown in that diagram including: 2n3904, 2n2222 and 2n2907. But if they aren't the ones, I can also obtain other transistors that I need for this purpose.

So, the two unspecified transistors in each of your latest diagrams will either be two PNP or two NPN transistors.

Does this circuit use 5v input and will transform it to 30v?

And, I don't know how I'm to connect those ground-symbol leads. Do all of them need to be connected to the negative supply of power?

If you have a 30v power supply, use that to power the transistir + relay portion. Positive goes to where I have 30v and negative of the power supply goes to the ground symbol of that side of the relay.

then use a USB power supply to power the 555 timer side of the circuit. The 555 is one of the most common integrated circuits of al time so it is not impossible. There are thousands of "how to" videos online for the 555.

this 555 time side of the circuit is very flexible. You can power it with what ever voltage the coil of your relay needs up to 15 volts. So, many modern relays are 12 or 5 volts. Just make sure the coil doesn't draw more than 200 mA.

If you have a 30v power supply, use that to power the transistir + relay portion. Positive goes to where I have 30v and negative of the power supply goes to the ground symbol of that side of the relay.

then use a USB power supply to power the 555 timer side of the circuit. The 555 is one of the most common integrated circuits of al time so it is not impossible. There are thousands of "how to" videos online for the 555.

this 555 time side of the circuit is very flexible. You can power it with what ever voltage the coil of your relay needs up to 15 volts. So, many modern relays are 12 or 5 volts. Just make sure the coil doesn't draw more than 200 mA.
Thank you very much for your help, gophert. I'll do my best to build it based on your instructions.

You could get an adjustable bench supply with current limiting such as this one:

**broken link removed**

This is just one sample of similar supplies that are available.

It would give you any voltage from 0-30 Volts. Any current from 0-5 Amps.

You could get an adjustable bench supply with current limiting such as this one:

**broken link removed**

This is just one sample of similar supplies that are available.

It would give you any voltage from 0-30 Volts. Any current from 0-5 Amps.
Thank you for the suggestion, ChrisP58. Yes, before obtaining the 32v printer adapter and the 1m-ohm potentiometer, I searched for the power supply devices like the one you mentioned. But I agree with Diver300 because almost none of the ones I came across or found to be affordable were able to produce currents from 0.1 to 1 ma, for instance. Moreover, they didn't have automatic and time-adjusted polarity reversal. If a relatively simple circuit can provide all three functions (30v, 0.5 ma and polarity reversals of 30 sec), this is probably the best choice.

Very interesting topic, and I would like to share some more information as well. As far as power supply goes you can get Instek GPE 2323 , 32V - 5A two channels with resolution 1mA . Sale price about $275.00 so is not bad. On the proper current note for this kind of operation/production the rule of thumb is 1mA to 2mA per sq. inch of silver electrode. If you are using 10-11 gauge rods about 6" long you will be using about 5-10 mA or more , depends on what kind of cs you would like to produce. Constant current is a must , so you just set the volts and then CC limit and let it go until you have desire ppm. Reverse polarity option is a very nice but not necessary , some people like to be more involve in the process and simply just wipe of the rods every 5min or so . The advise from ChrisP58 , Driver300 and others are very solid and I like them too. However I was wonder if any one on this forum can provide some information about using max4526/4527 phase-reversal analog switches in order to achieve same /similar results as far as reversing polarity for cs generator. Thanks.
P.S I know it is old post but I am new and just find out recently so decided to contribute a little as well. Thanks again.

I missed this post originally, and have a small anecdote about the subject.

While I was in Portland last summer, I found about 40 pieces of a mystery product in a thrift store in Forest Grove, Oregon. This product was in a nice Hammond Engineering enclosure of about 1.5" x 2.5" x 5", in a unique purple or blue color. There mystery devices have an 1/8" phone jack, a coaxial power connector and an LED. They were heavy for their size, so I guessed they had some kind of large rechargeable battery. The enclosures are a nice size with only a few holes, and a rechargeable battery could be useful. When they said the price was 50 cents each, I bought all of them.

When I did a little research on these boxes, I found they were from a defunct company in Forest Grove and were intended to produce colloidal silver.

When I opened one of them up, the surprising find was the "rechargeable battery" was three Energizer alkaline batteries taped together. It's a very big no no to recharge alkaline batteries; probably more-so when the "charging circuit" was a single series resistor. In fact, the total "electronics" in the box was a resistor to limit charging current, an LED and series resistor and a series resistor in-line with connecter to the electrodes.

The batteries were dated some 10 years prior and were quite dead. I spent a couple hours unscrewing the covers and removing the batteries. I do feel good that I saved the thrift store from having a huge mess if those things had remained on the shelf much longer.

I missed this post originally, and have a small anecdote about the subject.

While I was in Portland last summer, I found about 40 pieces of a mystery product in a thrift store in Forest Grove, Oregon. This product was in a nice Hammond Engineering enclosure of about 1.5" x 2.5" x 5", in a unique purple or blue color. There mystery devices have an 1/8" phone jack, a coaxial power connector and an LED. They were heavy for their size, so I guessed they had some kind of large rechargeable battery. The enclosures are a nice size with only a few holes, and a rechargeable battery could be useful. When they said the price was 50 cents each, I bought all of them.

When I did a little research on these boxes, I found they were from a defunct company in Forest Grove and were intended to produce colloidal silver.

When I opened one of them up, the surprising find was the "rechargeable battery" was three Energizer alkaline batteries taped together. It's a very big no no to recharge alkaline batteries; probably more-so when the "charging circuit" was a single series resistor. In fact, the total "electronics" in the box was a resistor to limit charging current, an LED and series resistor and a series resistor in-line with connecter to the electrodes.

The batteries were dated some 10 years prior and were quite dead. I spent a couple hours unscrewing the covers and removing the batteries. I do feel good that I saved the thrift store from having a huge mess if those things had remained on the shelf much longer.
$0.50 for a $12 Hammond Box, not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back