Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you help me on this design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizkid

Hi, I am trying to design a circuit and need some help. What I want to do is take an input audio signal and output it's frequency. How would I go about this without using a fourier transform? Any ideas? Thanks!

whizkid said:
Hi, I am trying to design a circuit and need some help. What I want to do is take an input audio signal and output it's frequency. How would I go about this without using a fourier transform? Any ideas? Thanks!

It's called a 'frequency counter', there are plenty of designs on the internet.

However, I don't know if that's what you are looking for, your question is rather vague?.

What I want to do, is say you play an A note on the piano. The microphone will pick this up, and the circuit will be able to output 440Hz or whatever. That's the basics of it....

whizkid said:
What I want to do, is say you play an A note on the piano. The microphone will pick this up, and the circuit will be able to output 440Hz or whatever. That's the basics of it....

A frequency counter could do that, but if it's for tuning purposes you can buy electronic tuners for various instruments - mainly guitars, but presumably for pianos as well?.

John Sorensen said:
Wouldn't the signal have to be exceptionally clear to use a frequency counter for that?

A single note on a piano should be OK, obviously a proper tuning system would be better, they usually have switchable filtering built-in to help remove harmonics.

whizkid said:

Where does it say he needs to know what frequency it is?
I read it as he needs to put out the same frequency.

hotwaterwizard said:
Where does it say he needs to know what frequency it is?
I read it as he needs to put out the same frequency.

Interesting 8)

A fine example of how NOT to phrase a question!, open to two totally different interpretations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back