Can you help me on this design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizkid

Hi, I am trying to design a circuit and need some help. What I want to do is take an input audio signal and output it's frequency. How would I go about this without using a fourier transform? Any ideas? Thanks!

whizkid said:
Hi, I am trying to design a circuit and need some help. What I want to do is take an input audio signal and output it's frequency. How would I go about this without using a fourier transform? Any ideas? Thanks!

It's called a 'frequency counter', there are plenty of designs on the internet.

However, I don't know if that's what you are looking for, your question is rather vague?.

What I want to do, is say you play an A note on the piano. The microphone will pick this up, and the circuit will be able to output 440Hz or whatever. That's the basics of it....

whizkid said:
What I want to do, is say you play an A note on the piano. The microphone will pick this up, and the circuit will be able to output 440Hz or whatever. That's the basics of it....

A frequency counter could do that, but if it's for tuning purposes you can buy electronic tuners for various instruments - mainly guitars, but presumably for pianos as well?.

John Sorensen said:
Wouldn't the signal have to be exceptionally clear to use a frequency counter for that?

A single note on a piano should be OK, obviously a proper tuning system would be better, they usually have switchable filtering built-in to help remove harmonics.

whizkid said:

Where does it say he needs to know what frequency it is?
I read it as he needs to put out the same frequency.

hotwaterwizard said:
Where does it say he needs to know what frequency it is?
I read it as he needs to put out the same frequency.

Interesting 8)

A fine example of how NOT to phrase a question!, open to two totally different interpretations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…