Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can the output of an LM3914 drive the Clk input of a CD4013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsfantasi

Can the output of an LM3914 drive the Clk input of a CD4013? (See what I did here?)

Or in general, can it drive an input of a CMOS logic gate? Such as a CD4081? I would think yes, with a proper pull-up resistor, since the LM3914 sinks current. But I'm not sure, so I ask you learned gentlemen and ladies.

- dj

hi dj,
I don't see a circuit image.?
E

Just a total amateur, but wouldn't be just like using a LM393/339 comparator as a trigger? The LM393/339 use a pull up on a sinking output to give a high output.

The LM3914 datasheet says "Outputs can interface with TTL or CMOS logic". So, should be ok providing the relevant output gets pulled high fast enough to satisfy the CD4013 clock rise time spec.

The clock input of a CD4013 needs to go high to clock the flip-flop but the outputs of an LM3914 go low so an inverter must be between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back