Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone recommend a good mic preamp circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry I connected the new 100uf capacitor to your synthesized ground when it was supposed to filter the battery voltage.
I have made many opamp circuits with a single-polarity supply but none used your synthesized ground.
They simply had the input of the opamp biased with a filtered half-the-supply-voltage then the circuit ground, input ground, output ground and all filter capcitors are connected to the negative terminal of the battery.

A little 9v battery has a fairly high internal resistance that increases as it is used so its voltage jumps up and down with the signal if it is not filtered. Also ALL opamps need a power supply filter capacitor to prevent oscillation.

A little 9v battery has a fairly high internal resistance that increases as it is used so its voltage jumps up and down with the signal if it is not filtered. Also ALL opamps need a power supply filter capacitor to prevent oscillation.
In the second circuit I proposed, C3 and C4 are intended to 'AC-short' V+ and V- to ground and to each other at audio frequencies. So the internal resistance of the battery is shunted by a low impedance. Won't that provide adequate filtering and oscillation suppression? In simulation, I see only ~380uV of 'jumping up and down' of V+ and V- even when the battery internal resistance is as high as 500 ohm; and no sign of oscillation.

Your C3 should be across the battery so it doesn't couple half the supply fluctuations into the synthesized ground.

I would agree with post #23 if the '0V' reference were the negative terminal of the battery, as in the circuit arrangement described in post #21; but in my circuit things are symmetrical about, and all voltages are referenced to, the battery mid-point. So I would expect whatever V+ fluctuation gets passed to ground via C3 to be cancelled out by an equal and opposite V- fluctuation passed via C4 (since C3 = C4). Isn't that the case?

Last edited:
You don't need a synthetic "virtual ground" because the input bias current of an opamp is extremely small.
Simply bias the input of the opamp at filtered half the supply voltage and capacitive-couple the input, feedback and output to the ground that is 0V.

That will certainly do it (assuming your 0V/ground is the battery negative terminal), and is the more conventional approach. But I like to try the unconventional approach :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back