Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PNaf

I am a volunteer Chaplain at an Institution in California. We are not allowed to bring in any type of recording devices. I need to bring in a CD/tape Boombox for Chapel service uses. I purchased one from Walmart and even got a Service Manual on the equipment to see if I could figure out how to disable the "record" feature on the tape player. I took a summer school class in circuit boards 40 years ago... not that it helps. Is anyone an expert in circuit boards who could look at a few pages from the manual and see if they know the simplest way to disable to record feature ONLY. We need to be able to use the Radio, CD, and tape playback.

How about gluing a plug of some type in the microphone jack?

when you press the record button inside a micro switch is pressed to enable record, if you make the switch removed or not working when you press, it will not record at all. in old tape players there is switch pressed when you press the recording button. you should open your tape player carefully and see how you can dissable this (micro)switch.

With standard "Philips cassette tapes" there is a probe that checks to see if the tab is broken out of the cassette. If you modify/remove this probe so it always thinks the tab is broken, and it should not record.

Attachments

• Record-tab.JPG
    Record-tab.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 142
Unless people put sticky tape over the hole, or fill it with anything like blutak or chewing gum etc.

The best option I think would be to buy a cassette player/hifi with no record feature. many of the cheaper ones are like this. Then there would be no concern over dodgy modifications etc.

Mr RB

If you read mneary's post correctly, he is suggesting removing the probe lever completely, or modifying it e.g cutting it off. It wouldn't matter what you did to the tape then as there would be no lever to operate.

Thank you all!

:DThank you to everyone for pitching in to help me. I was able to open up the machines, punch out the probe lever or completely remove it, cut off the record button and twist the lever out of alignment, remove a hinge, spring, and then another lever. The machines function perfectly on CD, Radio & Tape other than the disabled record feature. I REALLY appreciate all the input... it got me thinking and then I tore into the machines on the hunt! All four are disabled and ready for use! I was set on believing I had to remove wires and soldering... but you all helped me to think differently! Thanks Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back