Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can mig welders be run in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

godrail

i have two migs one 125 the other a 90 i was wondering if i could run them in serries and if so would the polarity be ok if used the gun for the 90

NO.

Are you talking about the output (gun) side on the units? Are they inverter type or transformer based? Just pick up a 220 volt unit and have 200+ amps. I have a MIG for sale :D

Last edited:
Why would you want to run them in series?

I suspect you mean to connect the outputs in parallel so you will have something like 215A available (according to your theory). Since the units are probably normal polarity, constant voltage DC, and share a common ground, I suspect you will get into trouble as the two units are not matched and maybe even if they were. That is, what would happen if the 125A unit were outputting 30V and the 90A unit were outputting 25V?

From a practical standpoint, the gun for the 90 is probably not built to handle wire for 215A. So, at best, you will end up spray arcing.

Never tried to do what you suggest. I don't suspect there are many who have. So, I would be extremely cautious to the point of not even trying it, unless someone can report hard and fast results from doing what you propose. You could end up ruining one or both welders.

John

Even floating the grounds I can not see it working. Either way be careful.

And as stated the gun would probably not handle the heat. Spray arcing is cool though. I can do it with my 250 amp unit.

Here in Florida it is hot, but this weekend we are supposed to be in the 70's. I have lbs of filler and a trailer calling my name. Will be using TIG, MIG has no gas at the moment. It will be slow but pretty.

I hope Godrail does not try series for sure. Or parallel for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back