Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use the same programmer for programming both pic16f877 and 16f887 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIC2PIC

Hi !
I have a simple homemade programmer that I used to program pic 16f877 . Can I use the same programmer for programming pic16f887 ?

Thank you Nigel
I found software "PICPgm programmer" and it's OK.
I made a hardware that use 16f877 and it works. I had an idea to change this PIC with 16f887, because it its almost the same. Also I use the same software, but it is not working properly. What am I wrong ?
After I made a software in MPLAB and I compile it for 16f887 PIC and burn it to PIC by using "PICPgm programmer" . Still something is not OK.

Hi,

You need to say which programmer hardware design you have built - is it the LVP one shown on the PICPgm programmer site ?

You also say that your have burnt your program to the 887, but 'something is not ok' - that does not give us much to go on ..?!
Do you mean there was a programming error message from PICpgm or that the program in the 887 is not working in its actual circuit board ? - with out seening your program code it would again be so difficult to know whats wrong.

Hi Wp100 .Thank you for your help
I have a simple "Classic TAIT programmer" hardware and I use "PICpgm programmer" software. Always, I used a pic 16f877 for my hardware .
Now I am trying to start use 16f887 PIC. I thougt it will not be a problem because it is almost the same PIC as 16f877.
I made a hardware and software for 16f877 and it works. I thought to use the same software for pic 16f887 the one I wil change with 16f877, only I have to compile it in MPLAB for 16f887.
Hex file is burnt with no problems, but device is not working properly. A programm is huge. It is kind of clock with some table testing capabilities.
I think it might be config bits setting. I am not well known with these bits setting. On 16f877 I allways used thesse settings : XT oscillator - set, Power up - set, Brown out - set, and all other not set. That was allways good for me. I thought to use the same config bit settings for 16f887. What config bit settings should I use for pic 16f887 ?

Hi,

There a quiet a few changes in the Config settings between the two chips though not sure which would affect your program from running.

Have not used the 887 chip so not sure of all /any supple coding differenced between the two chips, but providng you have changed the LIST and Include statements to the 887 chip then Mplab should show most differences in the error report - don't just ignore any Warning messages - it will still build OK with them but they might be the clue to the problem.

Look at the Template and .inc files for both chips to see the differences.

Also see this 877 to 887 Migration doc https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/41305A.pdf

Attachments

• mplab.jpg
    mplab.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back