Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use a 18650 LiPo Battery to power a Wireless Gamepad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raziol

Hello Everyone!

I have a 5V chineese wireless gamepad (joypad) that runs on 3 AAA 1.5V batteries, and I want to convert it to power on a single 3.7 LiPo rechargeable battery.

I got an idea which involves using a TP4056 charger module to charge the 3.7V LiPo battery using my 5V wall adapter, but I'm not sure if the 3.7v of the battery can power the GamePad which needs a 4.5-5V input.

Can you please tell if that will work? And if not, Can you suggest another type of battery/charger module?

A Li-Ion battery if 4.2V when fully charged - try it and see how it works.

3xAAA is only 4.5V, and will 'probably' work the gamepad down to 3V or so?.

Yes I also think that it should run it just fine, But I wanted to make sure before ordering anything online.

As you can see in the photos, the circuit looks relatively simple and I think it does not require the full 5v in order to work.
I think that worst case scenario is that the vibrators won't work properly or something.

And If you have another suggestions or a better way to implement a rechargeable battery into this thing, I'm all ears :)

Attachments

• 20200918_154504_HDR.jpg
    20200918_154504_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 218
  • 20200918_154515_HDR.jpg
    20200918_154515_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 215
  • 20200918_154559_HDR.jpg
    20200918_154559_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 219
Yes I also think that it should run it just fine, But I wanted to make sure before ordering anything online.

As you can see in the photos, the circuit looks relatively simple and I think it does not require the full 5v in order to work.
I think that worst case scenario is that the vibrators won't work properly or something.

And If you have another suggestions or a better way to implement a rechargeable battery into this thing, I'm all ears :)

No it seems pretty perfect, covering the range that the 3xAAA's will function.

Yes, thank you, I might just do your idea in case the battery wont power the game pad

You might consider that using 3xAAA NiCd or NiMh only gives 3.6V - and these are very often used in such handsets.

If you're going to use a Li-Ion though, with a TP4056 charger, then make sure you get one with protection built-in - because Li-Ion batteries are damaged by discharging them too far, and the protected version prevents this.

Thank you for your reply !

Here is a little board that will boost your lithium battery (LiPo) to 5.2V which is ok for almost every 5v device. You can add diode protection if you want extra safety. The same board also has LiPo charging control from 5vUSB in. It essentially turns your LiPo battery into a 1amp(Max) power bank. It's pricy but safe, works well and super easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back