Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can i replace this kondensator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boand

Anyone know what i can replace this with? its hard to read but i got the following.
1st side says "CS472 M", 2th side says BSI TJ508", i cant seem to find a identical on google, but i hope anyone know if i can replace it with something.
They are sitting on the "AC in" in a ATX PSU, 1from ground to positive and 1 from Ground to neutral. Hope it makes sence?
photo snatched from the interweb.
thanks

Attachments

• konden.png
    konden.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 108
That is a MOV or VDR, the value will depend on the voltage you are using it on, go to Digikey site and look at the Littlefuse selection and cross reference chart.
Why do you need to replace it? , when they fail, you can usually see it, this appears to be in good condition.
Max.

That is a MOV or VDR, the value will depend on the voltage you are using it on, go to Digikey site and look at the Littlefuse selection and cross reference chart.
Why do you need to replace it? , when they fail, you can usually see it, this appears to be in good condition.
Max.

Sorry, but that's completely incorrect.

It's a 4700pF 10KV capacitor, and they VERY, VERY commonly go S/C, usually cracking in the process or completely burning up.

it's clearly a capacitor shown in the picture.
With only the pictures You can't say it is definitive an capacitator or an VDR.
Take a look at my links.
When You can figure out the manufactor it should be possible to identify the part by the characters on the part.

I agree with Nigel. The markings (472M) indicate the capacitance in pF. The 47 is the the integer part of the value and the 2 is the decimal multiplier. (The number of zeros that follow the integer part (47) This results in 4700. The 10 Kv is the voltage rating 10 kilovolts = 10000 volts.

Les.

Sometimes its hard to tell by looks a mov and a cap.
However if it were a mov it'd be 470v, not unusual, however a 470v mov that can withstand 10kv would be huge, so I have to agree with Nige on this one.
Its common for a mains rated cap to explode on failure, or at least show some mechanical damage.

With only the pictures You can't say it is definitive an capacitator or an VDR.
Take a look at my links.
When You can figure out the manufactor it should be possible to identify the part by the characters on the part.

With that picture you can tell 100% that it's a capacitor, it's not ambiguous in any way.

However, as it's a stock photo, and not an actual image of what he's got, it rather depends if the picture is actually what he has? - that's the only possible issue here.

But as he describes where it is in circuit, it looks exactly like a capacitor anyway.

Also though, whatever it is, the PSU should work perfectly for testing without it -the capacitors are only there to reduce interference from, and interference to, the PSU.

4700 pF (0.047 uF) capacitor. If these are from the line to ground they should be replaced with a Class Y safety capacitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back