Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can I hire somebody here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The online parts companies carry them for around $90 new. :rolleyes:
**broken link removed**

If I did some asking around I probably could get a take off from a local source for under $20. :)
The prices some people pay to keep a secret about nothing new! :D

The online parts companies carry them for around $90 new. :rolleyes:
**broken link removed**

If I did some asking around I probably could get a take off from a local source for under $20. :)
The prices some people pay to keep a secret about nothing new! :D

yea, that's the same thing :rolleyes:
what you posted is EXACTLY the opposite of what I was doing... BTW, you're a prick

My auto tech buddies seem to think the same thing. Best recollection they had is its late 90's tech.
Its probably been improved on in 10+ years but its certainly not new by any means acording to them. :D

how about you show me something AFFORDABLE in the past ten years on the market??? Come on now, I want to see it. If I'm wrong I'll say so, if not you can KMA

Hey, Joe Rocket, lighten up on the 'tude ! I understand what you're trying to do, though I don't know what the "secret" is. I'm competent in electronics and auto mechanics, and like has been said, there is no way to slow up the motor in a duly matter by fuel control. So you want a light to tell you to ease up (or bypass the converter/muffler?), but if you ever do get the circuit you want, remember to take into your mathematics, that many high energy ignition (HEI) systems fire on both the compression and the exhaust cycles (8 cylinder will fire 8 times <4 comps and 4 exhausts> with every revolution). This may not be true on all of the GMs, but the two carburated HEIs I've had did, and every fuel injected vehicle manufactured for say the last 40 years, is a definite yes on the "dual firing".

1) you still don't understand what I'm trying to do
2) there are many ways to slow a motor by fuel control, but that is not my goal
3) GM HEI fires only on compression, never on exhaust

people here are full of crap and themselves.... not to mention unwilling to help, self centered and egotistical.

joerocket said:
people here are full of crap and themselves.... not to mention unwilling to help, self centered and egotistical.

Ok, 6 Pages and 80+ post of it.:rolleyes:

joerocket said:

people here are full of crap

Glad to have you on board
304-poopy.gif

Last edited:
yea, that's the same thing :rolleyes:
what you posted is EXACTLY the opposite of what I was doing... BTW, you're a prick

It tends to work that way when someone says they want something but wont give the full specifics as to its intended purpose and usage. IF you went into a electronics engineering firms office (basically what you have here but with free consultation) and told any electronics engineer what you wanted in the same way you have told us they would probably all be pricks as well. :(
Your the one with this incredible "secret" about some more than likely off the shelf part or system that has probably been around for a very long time in one form or another that already does or could easily be modified to do what you want.

A good number of people here have strong skills in auto electronics and auto mechanics. But they are also the ones like me who have little interest in helping you at this point because of what we see as being pointless and quite childish secrecy issues.
The problem we have and know from experience is that just one single electronics device is not the whole and complete answer to any automotive problem. A vehicle is a complicated electrical and mechanical system that has many complex interacting components and variables that need to be accounted for.
We also know that very few control systems on a vehicle can be operated by just a simple on/off switching of a relay. Most everything is of proportional control of one form or another.

By explaining the full system you are trying to design they probably could and would be far more helpful. Unfortunately from the view point of most its apparent that you are hiding something.
Why and what for we dont know. But what we do know is so far your story seems to get more holes in it every time you post a vague referance to what you are doing and thats where our attitudes are coming from.:(

By the way a few of us here know exactly how to build your device and find it rather simple too! But well, you know. (Its a secret.) ;)

Last edited:
A vehicle is a complicated electrical and mechanical system that has many complex interacting components and variables that need to be accounted for.

Yup, and that one is a problem for Toyota for trying to get tricky under the hood.

They will be contending with law suites for a very long time to come.

Last edited:
Yup, and that one is a problem for Toyota for trying to get tricky under the hood.

Thats a problem for anyone getting tricky, or creative, under any hood with any design changes or modifications.;)
The factory engineers can screw up and I know full well the average garage tinkerers have far more difficulty with it as well. :(

Most of us who do try and do custom mod work tend to stick with a specific brand, model range, and age range just because the complexity issues of the overall unknowns becomes incredibly overwhelming the further anyone gets away from what they are familiar with. :)

tcm, you might know electronics but I seriously doubt you know much about cars.

and the thing is, I asked for what I know is a simple device, and instead of helping all you did was pry for your own selfish gains.
simple circut you could easily build, but won't b/c why? .. well, I think that has already been established.

Here's what I'm yackin' 'bout. I didn't know, but you seem to be utilizing the stock HEI. I'm a guy with Funny Car racing in my family, and high performance parts always on my mind. This dual "point" (though it has no points!) distributor accepts HEI ignition modules (you did say you had an HEI module, but didn't elaborate on the distributor!). Another knock for lack of details. Why don't you just tell us all exactly what it is you're trying to do, and then we can end this simple PWM variation alert inquiry !!

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I have a stock HEI distributor.

I would like to take the tach signal wire, measure the engines acceleration rate using it.
IF the acceleration rate is too high trip an output wire to ignite my stand alone shift light (which is NOT hooked to anything, and this is not a RPM based shift light)

Last edited:
Most people into racing/performance driving use the computer between their ears and under their hat to judge when the motor is over revving.

get off the short bus. help or don't post, eh?

sorry, I'm being rude here but this is 7 pages of berating comments and I'm tired of it.
I have a pretty decent understanding of mechanics and automotive and I think my driving is pretty decent too.

I know enough that I could go to the salvage yard and pull some parts off a car and have a BETTER working system than what I want to make. I KNOW this, but I WANT to 1) build it myself and this accomplishes a 2nd goal) learning electronics (or at least getting a basic foundation and experience)

Last edited:
simple circuit you could easily build, but won't b/c why? .. well, I think that has already been established.

Yep its been well established us know nothing car guys probably know where to buy one that would work far better than most homebuilt designs.;)
BTW, some years ago designed a very similar circuit before for one of my old wind generator experiments. The frequency range was different but it sensed if the drive belt broke and would deactivate an electric brake if there was a sudden increase in speed or if the RPM's got to high for some reason.

As far as my engine building skills go I dont do much with the racing and drag strip applications.
But if you wanted a custom job for a heavy duty long haul application where you need down and dirty high power with good fuel efficiency and a long service life, I have a few pointers and tricks that work well.
As of now I mainly work with alternative fuel stuff so if you want to run that thing on propane, natural gas, hydrogen, or E85 I can help to some degree. :)

IF the acceleration rate is too high trip an output wire to ignite my stand alone shift light
On a slightly modified near stock 350 chevy? In that car? Maybe if you had a bored and stroked 454 with a massive cam and nitrus that topped 700+ HP! :eek:
Otherwise just put a wood shim under the gas petal. That will limit your acceleration capacities rather well too.:D

You don't know jack about cars. My well built 454's (stroked to 496) push well over 700 HP OFF the bottle.

How about instead of being a dick you offer up your windmill circuit.

But your not building a wind mill are you?

OK, just an FYI, this hit the market in the fall of 09 so maybe i may have heard about it somewhere, but since the people selling it didn't even know how it works without questions from em to the manufacture it's unlikely I heard from them this idea.
at any rate since it does almost EXACTLY what I'm after i'm going to buy theirs, BUT since I want to learn and have the parts I'm going to make something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back