Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anyone help with thevenins and nortons theorem

Status
Not open for further replies.

keatescarn

I am trying to do a text book question on networks,

the question is ,, use thevenins and nortons theorem to determine the current flowing and the voltage across RL in the network diagram,

i have attatched the diagram.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• networks diagram 1.JPG
    networks diagram 1.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 498
I'm not doing your homework. Try reducing all but RL to its Thevenin's equiv. circuit.

I've never tried to reduce a circuit before and I'm pretty sure I could do it, which means you certainly can.
Thévenin's theorem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Provides many examples of how to calculate the Thevenin equivilent on circuits more complicated than what you linked.

for thenevin, you reduce the circuit to a single resistor and voltage source, for norton, it's again an equivalent resistor, and a current source equal to the total current. i leave it to you to arrive at the correct answers..... all you need to know here is how to calculate resistors in series or parallel, and how to calculate the current.

Last edited:

the question is ,, use thevenins and nortons theorem to determine the current flowing and the voltage across RL in the network diagram,

Thanks for the help

It's just a simple voltage divider. You don't need either theorem to find the answer to that one.

Thanks for the help

For the Thevenin voltage, calculate the voltage across the points where RL is connected with RL removed.

For the Thevenin resistance, remove the voltage source(s) and replace it (them) with a short circuit. Replace any current sources with an open circuit.Then calculate the resultant resistance. Imagine that you connected an Ohm meter across across the points where RL is connected with RL removed. The reading would be the Thevenin resistance.

For Norton, calculate the short circuit current. This is the Norton current. Calculate the resistance as I said above.

Once you have the equivalent circuits, it is then easy to calculate the currents & voltages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back