Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can anyone help me circuit a Tricorder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrekKid

Hi there!

I have 12x 3mm LED's:

- 6x flashing
- 6x static

To this I have a standard slide switch and cell battery holder.

My issue is this: how do I link these 14 components to one another and ensure the flashing LEDs stay flashing and the static, static?

I believe that a 6V battery will power all 12 LED's but this I cannot be certain of as I have only got so far with linking them together. On the face of it, it sounds simple, but (in my ignorance and lack of experience) I have found it not to be so.

If anyone can help me, I have been trying on and off for months!

What colour are the LEDs? If they are red / green they will be about 2 - 2.5V each so you can run 2 with a suitable resistor. If they are blue / white, they will about 3 V each, so it's difficult to control the current if you have more than one with a resistor.

Once you've got 1 or 2 LEDs and a suitable resistor, you need 6 or 3 repeats of the circuit to get to 6 static LEDs

You then have the whole lot again for the flashing ones, and you have a suitable switching device in series with the flashing ones to turn them on and off to make them flash.

Hey Diver300!

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

I have 4x flashing blue, 2x flashing red, 2x static yellow and 2x static pink if this makes a difference to your proposal?

You need to know the specification of the flashing LEDs. They are normally designed to work with a particular supply voltage, e.g. 5V or 12V. One rated for 12V would not work with a 6V supply. One rated for 5V would probably die quickly with a 6V supply.

You probably would want a resistor per LED, Typical If is 10-20 mA, Typical Vf is 2.1 but varies by color and batch. Intensity variations are related to Vf. You can adjust the intensity by changing the resistor and/or the supply voltage. LED's are typically currrent regulated

Resistors are calculated by R<=(6-2.1)/10e-3; fill in your values; (1/4 to 1/2 W would be fine)

Your flashing LEDs probably have a supply range.

If it could all run in 3 volts, It may be good. There are toy Tricorders as well that you could rip the guyts out of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back