Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can any one help me in DSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiteshDR

hello everyone,

i am going to use DSP Kit in the project but i dont have clear idea about its kit.
can anyone please suggest me how can i get detail about DSP kit and it's dealer's info..???

hi...

blueroomelectronics said:
Which manufacture's DSP are you interested in?

hi..

actaully i dont have much more idea about it..
i want to transmitt the video/audio signal to the next terminal of system via DSP. Next terminal may be PC or LAN device or LCD etc.
cost of Kit could effect my project.

thanks to you

A DSP micro is an advanced part, and the project you described is very complex. Much more difficult than testing a stepper motor.
There are many DSP development systems, not sure what you can get in India though.
Plus nobody will be able to post code for it...

blueroomelectronics said:
A DSP micro is an advanced part, and the project you described is very complex. Much more difficult than testing a stepper motor.
There are many DSP development systems, not sure what you can get in India though.
Plus nobody will be able to post code for it...

yes i know its bit difficult then stepper motor control.
as team member of the project i could try to get info regarding Kit as well as knowledge in depth about it.

so isnt it possible...????

Digital audio is very practical for a student to implement.
Digital video is far, far more difficult. The bandwidth is enormous and often advanced, high computation compression is involved. Well, that's NTSC full motion video I'm talking about. A low frame rate going to a low resolution LCD greatly reduces the task. You want to consider what you want to show off here- transferring a series of pictures from an SD card to a small LCD probably doesn't require a DSP core at all since no mathematical manipulation is required. Likewise, displaying a menu on a touch screen may not require a DSP either.

Microchip has had a line of cheap 16-bit DSP parts for awhile now. I love the 33F series. Microchip has good support and a user forum.

Last edited:
Oznog said:
Digital audio is very practical for a student to implement.
Digital video is far, far more difficult. The bandwidth is enormous and often advanced, high computation compression is involved.

Microchip has had a line of cheap 16-bit DSP parts for awhile now. I love the 33F series. Microchip has good support and a user forum.

thanks Ozong...

by the way we are trying to use MATLAB for cpatureing video and transmitt it to next terminal of system.

i have seen in texas instruments and one or two others but they are too costly. i can decide after viewing the dsp kit on net of micro chip.
may i get the link for micrchip dsp kit??

Microchip's https://www.microchip.com of course. Look up the 33F series (3.3V-only though). These can do 40 million instructions per second and this is a 16-bit core, the working regs are 16 bit and all the math ops work on 16-bit operands. There's also two 40-bit Accumulator with a set of accumulator-specific asm operations.
30F is a somewhat less powerful series which is also pretty power-hungry (electrical power), but it can run on 5v.

You can get expensive demo boards or just get an ICD2 and work with a chip. You can do audio work and control systems. Video, well you can generate text and display it on an NTSC TV set but you're not going to say play a video off a Firewire link to an NTSC TV set even without manipulating the image, that requires far more power.

MATLAB's not really doing a capture. Your hardware dongle or webcam or whatever is doing the capture. For MATLAB to display the picture is a start but hardly what MATLAB is designed for, MATLAB is about manipulating the data with algorithms not just moving it from a capture device to a display device.

An example of video DSP would be to sharpen a blurry image. There are a hundred different algorithms in this area. It would take a very powerful DSP to implement them in real time however and the code would need to be designed and optimized for that processor.

Microchip has a more powerful 32-bit core coming out soon, they've announced it but I don't see any orderable products at this time and no support yet.

Last edited:
Oznog said:
Microchip's https://www.microchip.com of course. Look up the 33F series (3.3V-only though). These can do 40 million instructions per second and this is a 16-bit core, the working regs are 16 bit and all the math ops work on 16-bit operands. There's also two 40-bit Accumulator with a set of accumulator-specific asm operations.
30F is a somewhat less powerful series which is also pretty power-hungry (electrical power), but it can run on 5v.

You can get expensive demo boards or just get an ICD2 and work with a chip. You can do audio work and control systems. Video, well you can generate text and display it on an NTSC TV set but you're not going to say play a video off a Firewire link to an NTSC TV set even without manipulating the image, that requires far more power.

MATLAB's not really doing a capture. Your hardware dongle or webcam or whatever is doing the capture. For MATLAB to display the picture is a start but hardly what MATLAB is designed for, MATLAB is about manipulating the data with algorithms not just moving it from a capture device to a display device.

An example of video DSP would be to sharpen a blurry image. There are a hundred different algorithms in this area. It would take a very powerful DSP to implement them in real time however and the code would need to be designed and optimized for that processor.

Microchip has a more powerful 32-bit core coming out soon, they've announced it but I don't see any orderable products at this time and no support yet.

Thank you Oznog

i'll be back as i'll go ahead..

thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back