Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can any microcontroller have more than one set of Tx and Rx for UART?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pd123

I am working on a project where I have to connect a GPRS/GSM module and also an interpreter. As far as I know, We need Tx,Rx for UART communication with the GPRS module as well as the Interpreter(as seen in the datasheet). If there is no such microcontroller available then is there any solution?

There are uCs with dual UARTs but what is an interpreter? You would normally use the uC to interpret the received data.

Mike.

There are several

Microchip has several micros with more than one UART built in.

The ATMega1280 has four UARTs.

I have used a pic18F that had one UART, where two serial ports were needed. I used a software UART for one of the serial ports.

The pic24FJ64GA004 (and similar) have two UARTs and that it what I use now. The UARTs can be allocated to just about any pin.

The datasheet of the microcontroller MSC1213Y5 says that it has 2 USARTs. The pins are named TxD0,RxD0 and TxD1,RxD1. I have to interface it with another IC which has pins namely UART_Tx and UART_Rx. Can my microcontroller be interfaced with this IC using TxD0,RxD0?

What is the difference between UART and USART except for one going in frames and the other going in blocks?

I am planning to use AVR micro-controllers, I zeroed on the ATMEGA128 controller, but I couldn't find any difference in the features of the ATMEGA128, ATMEGA1284 and ATMEGA1284P. Does anybody know the difference in these micro-controllers?

Also to address 128Kbytes of Flash memory, what should be the size of the program counter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back