Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a PCB-design be "scaled" :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigsby

Hi there,

I am new to the site and would like to start out by asking a stupid question :)

I have a PCB-design (keyboard) with only switches, Gerber file, and everything is ready to get it prototyped.

The thing is that the design is for an obsolete type of switch. and the new type is larger.

Since the design is "switches only" and the outline dimension of the pcb is not a problem I thought "can this design simply be scaled to fit the new switch?"

Help needed :)

"You could ask the board house"

I am not really sure about what you mean or how to do that, can you please assist?

Thanks for the quick reply by the way!

Hi there,

I am new to the site and would like to start out by asking a stupid question :)

I have a PCB-design (keyboard) with only switches, Gerber file, and everything is ready to get it prototyped.

The thing is that the design is for an obsolete type of switch. and the new type is larger.

Since the design is "switches only" and the outline dimension of the pcb is not a problem I thought "can this design simply be scaled to fit the new switch?"

Help needed :)

Of course the X and Y scaling of new switch footprint would have to scale exactly the same dimensions as the X and Y of the old footprint for the re-scaling to work.

You can check this yourself.
Get drawings of both footprints and try resizing them so that the corresponding pins line up exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back