Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calibrating temperature in PIC based temperature controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shohadawy

How can I calibrate the voltage of a thermocouple connected to a pic16f877 so that I could view this voltage as its corresponding temperature on an LCD display.... In the attachments there is a picture of the complete circuit of the system that I'm talking about .... a PIC based temperature controller

Attachments

• Circuit.pdf
    19 KB · Views: 418
It should be a fairly straightforward to read the ADC and transfer the result to the LCD.

I assume that you are using the 5V supply as the ADC reference. If so, the ADC will read 0 at 0V and 1023 at 5V input. That will give about 2.048 counts per degree centigrade.

You will need to get the PIC to do some maths to get the result as deg C, which you can then send to the LCD.

However, I think that is a difficult way to measure temperature. If you need a wide temperature range, use a MAX6675 which converts thermocouple to 3-wire with one IC, no analog to deal with and no power supplies other than the 5V.

For temperature ranges up to about 150 deg C, you can use a temperature sensing IC that doesn't need a separate sensor, such as an LM95071

Then , if I used the max, will its output represent the temperatures directly without calculations..and so can I display this digital signal directly on the lcd so the temperature is displayed directly

Sort of.

The output is in binary, and it is 16 bits long. Look at the data sheet.

You will need to shift the result to the right by 5 bits to get the result in degrees C, which will be two bytes if you are wanting to have temperatures above 255 degrees C

However that will be in binary, and you need to convert to BCD to make it meaningful. You can look up BCD routines in the application notes at www.microchip.com or the examples at www.piclist.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back