Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating RPM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njguy

I know that a tachometer shows rpm, but I would like to calculate the rpm of a rotary shaft, and I'm not sure how to do it. What is the hardware that actually gathers the rpm data?

Last edited:
A slot sensor and a disk with a hole in it are a good way to go

**broken link removed**

Buy a $25 optical tacho, you can get them just about anywhere now (like tool stores, retailers, even Ebay is full of them).

Just stick a white or black sticker on the shaft and point it, the tacho tells you RPM.

Buy a $25 optical tacho, you can get them just about anywhere now (like tool stores, retailers, even Ebay is full of them).
Especially hobby stores, for counting model airplane propeller RPM.

Bob

The Tektronix DC503 frequency counter had an internal slide switch that you could set to provide a display in RPM vs. Hz. Never did see any other counter that did that. I though it could be a really handy feature but never did use it myself.

function generator in pulse mode, and an LED (high brightness white ones work best). frequency in Hz*60=rpm. as was mentioned above, a black mark or a sticker makes for a good "indicator" to use with the strobed LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back