Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating power in a series-parallel circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emil09

Hello,

I'm trying to verify that I correctly calculated the power in R5 shown in the circuit below.

**broken link removed**

I first determined that the voltage over R5 is 4.91 v. Then I calculated power as P = (V^2)/R5 = 4.3 mW. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could verify my calculations. Thanks!

R5 isnt in parallel with R3/R4......See your third line

Calc the value of R3 in parallel with R4 (514.29 ohms)....add R2 to that ( 144.29) , then calc that result in parallel with R5...(950.14)...call that Rz
Add that to R1...

Calc the current Iw thru R1+Rz...

then Pdiss in R5 = Iw squared*R5

Why don't you use mesh analysis? you do the three meshes find the current thru R5, and you're done, it will be very fast if you use a graphing calculator.

Why don't you use mesh analysis? you do the three meshes find the current thru R5, and you're done, it will be very fast if you use a graphing calculator.

I'm afraid that I haven't studied mesh analysis at all. But I'll look into that; thanks.

Last edited:
Actually, what I'm really trying to verify is the following:
**broken link removed**
for the circuit I originally posted.

Thank you.

As I see it, it's good, you'll get a the result, as long as you don't make a mistake with the numbers.

As you see, there's a bunch of people here that can help you, hope you do it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back