Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating electromagnet – magnetism vs heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

perka

Im making an electromagnet that will be more or less permanently turned on so I need to avoid heating problems. I have studied this a bit and came to the conclusion that:

the lower the gauge (AWG) (the thicker the wire) and the more turns around the core => the greater current it can handle and the lower the heat.

with this in mind I would have taken something like 500 turns around a 10 mm diameter screw, with pretty thick copperwire awg 20 (0.5 mm) or something similliar would be okey?

What do you say? Is there a way of calculating these heatingproblems before I decide the dimension and number of turns of my copperwire?

Sure, use any online calculater to work out the resistance of your coil and then the magnetic strength is turns x current and the heat is current squared times resistance.

Mike.

Thanks for the answers. I did some research and did this calculation:
circumference of the spool: diameter of the screw * PI :: 1 * 3,14 = 3,14
Length of wire: Number of turns * circumference :: 500 * 3,14 = 1570 cm
The resistance of the wire / cm (ohm): 0,00032
Total resistance of the wire: resistance per cm * length :: 0,00032 * 1570 = 0,5024
Current:
I = V/R, I = 5 / 0,5024 = 9,95 A

Im using wikipedia to get information about the copperwire:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge#Tables_of_AWG_wire_sizes

Two questions reagarding the cable:
1) The Ampacity - is that what temperature the current will generate? In my case than if you read the table, since my current is 9,95 A that would generate about 70 degrees? Is that correct?
2) Fusing Current - that is the current that will melt the wire? Preece is longer than 10 seconds and Onderdonk is over 1 second or 32 ms? Is that correct?

So in my case I should go for a thicker wire (lower AWG) to be able to take down the heat .

Then to calculate the magentism I use this page:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html
Solenoid Magnetic Field Calculation
here I get with my values: 157 m long, 500 turns, 9,95 A in current and 200 in relative permeability = 79.64 gauss in the center of the magnet

So in my example above I will get:
heating about 70 degrees
79.64 gauss in the center of the magnet

In other words I will go for a thicker wire to get down the heating ...
Im also using a diode to handle the EMF

Would you agree on this calculation?

Thanks

Don't have time to go through all your calculations now but will just make a couple of suggestions.

The diameter of the coil is the average diameter. I assume there is limited length and so the coil will have multiple layers.
I think the 70C is for uncoiled wire. When wrapped tightly it will be much higher. The enamel will break down at around 200C.

I would suggest thinner wire with more turns. Supplying 10A at 5V is not as easy as 4A at 12V.

Mike.

But thinner wire means more turns and magnetic strength is turns * amps. Sometimes thinner wire will result in a stronger magnet.

Mike.

I would suggest buying a relay or solenoid with the size & strength coil that you want. They will be professionally made and as efficiently as possible. If you can use it, a relay will have an iron core with better permeability than a steel screw.

That would be my suggestion too. Get the coil from a solenoid valve and put a steel core in it.

But I guess thinner wire will produce not as strong magnet.
the "strength" of the magnet is a function of ampere-turns. if you have 100 turns and 1A flowing, that's 100 ampere turns, and it will have the same field strength as a magnet running 10A through 10 turns, or 1000 turns with 0.1A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back