Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

C compiler for PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProFPGA

Banned
Hi pic gurus,

I am willing to buy a fully licensed C compiler for 12f/16f and 18f 's.
I need a advice which one is better affordable and works best ( code optimization) ?

Thanks .

I'd say to go for the HiTech C compiler, it'll probably be getting a lot better in the near future now that Microchip owns HTsoft.

I would take a good look at boostC for general purpose work.

I do not think optimization should be a large factor unless you are going into production and need to squeeze the last 25 cents out of a design.

As much as any of us would like a one size fits all solution you may end up using a given compiler because there is a USB stack or other such support.

Of course, you could always just man up and learn assembly, but I digress, that's not the point of this thread, really.

i am ok with the assembly lang , but would like to program in C .
Hitech C is too expensive .
I would rather go with BoostC . :)

Why not just use the free version until you are more comfortable with it. I currently have a project with a 4*20 LCD, a 24LC1025 EEPROM, a DS1307 RTC and 3 one wire DS1820s. It's a temperature logger using a 16F886 and all the code fits within the limitation of the free version.

Mike.

Another voice for BoostC, but it does not, I think, use the extended instruction set for the 18F series. How much does optimization matter ( how do you know )?

I think an important question here is, which ones are best documented, have the most example script, and are generally easy to get up and running with a given PIC. Because what really matters is if you will be able to use it. Unless your a pro anway, what you can figure out how to do with it matters more than what its theoretically capable of.

Last edited:
I guess another aspect is which gives supports with extensive library functions .
I agree CSS has a long list of library functions for most of the perpherials in a PIC microcontrollers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back