C compiler for PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProFPGA

Banned
Hi pic gurus,

I am willing to buy a fully licensed C compiler for 12f/16f and 18f 's.
I need a advice which one is better affordable and works best ( code optimization) ?

Thanks .

I'd say to go for the HiTech C compiler, it'll probably be getting a lot better in the near future now that Microchip owns HTsoft.

I would take a good look at boostC for general purpose work.

I do not think optimization should be a large factor unless you are going into production and need to squeeze the last 25 cents out of a design.

As much as any of us would like a one size fits all solution you may end up using a given compiler because there is a USB stack or other such support.

i am ok with the assembly lang , but would like to program in C .
Hitech C is too expensive .
I would rather go with BoostC .

Why not just use the free version until you are more comfortable with it. I currently have a project with a 4*20 LCD, a 24LC1025 EEPROM, a DS1307 RTC and 3 one wire DS1820s. It's a temperature logger using a 16F886 and all the code fits within the limitation of the free version.

Mike.

Another voice for BoostC, but it does not, I think, use the extended instruction set for the 18F series. How much does optimization matter ( how do you know )?

I think an important question here is, which ones are best documented, have the most example script, and are generally easy to get up and running with a given PIC. Because what really matters is if you will be able to use it. Unless your a pro anway, what you can figure out how to do with it matters more than what its theoretically capable of.

Last edited:
I guess another aspect is which gives supports with extensive library functions .
I agree CSS has a long list of library functions for most of the perpherials in a PIC microcontrollers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…