Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bypass capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChArLyZzZ

Hi guys,
As i know,we should always put a bypass capacitor between Vcc and GND in any application to eliminate noise from the supply.
But if i have several ICs on my board (PIC, EEPROM,D/A,etc..) and each one requires a bypass capacitor, should I put one for every IC(0.1 uF)?? or only one big capacitor for the whole application(1 uF)??
Thanks

no one 0.1 uF per chip and make it as close as possible. perhaps soldering it to the underside of the pcb is a good idea then u can go ahead with ur designing without worying about them and just popo them on at the end. u could also insert then inside the socket but they must be low enough for the chip to be inserted. just remember as close as possible or u will defeat the object

As already suggested, you need a number of capacitors around the board, you might not need one for every chip, but it's probably easier to do so rather than try and finds ones you could leave out. As also suggested, place them as close to the chips as you can!.

A LOT depends on the types of chips in use, TTL are particularly bad in this respect, as are 555's (as Audioguru will tell you!). If you're using CMOS chips they are far more tolerant!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back