Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buying an oscilliscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyd3

Hi, I'm interested in buying an oscillisope for my hobby (electronics).
What make / model do you guys recommend. (I dont mind looking at expensive things, even when I cant afford them)
Thanks in advance...

A trusty old Tektronix 465 could likely be had on eBay $100-150US. Like I said, they're older technology, but quite rugged dual-trace scopes.
I was lucky when I picked up a Tek 2235 there a couple of years ago for $125US+s/h (listed new @$2200!). It was non-functioning, as-is. Turns out it had 2 shorted diodes in the power supply. Replaced 'em - works like a champ. :D JB

Tek 465

I'll second the good comments on the 465. A solid, well-built analog scope that's often found for bargain prices on ebay due to it's age. Even better is the 466, an analog storage model (these are harder to find).

Most of the Tektronix solid-state oscilloscopes are good instruments to have. I would stay away from their earliest solid-state machines, the 453, 453A, 454, 454A and 422 simply because they won't be as reliable (age) and parts will be harder to find. There are probably more 465s out there than any other scope model from any manfacturer. The 475 is also a good choice. Although the 466 (or the 464) will give you mesh storage, if you ever need a new CRT for the thing, you'll be screwed unless you can find a decent hangar queen. The storage models require more depth on your bench than the 465, but are other wise (except for the storage controls) are identical in every other way to the 465.

The 7000-series is also a good choice, often being not that much more expensive than a portable, even with the plug-ins. Note that if you do get a 7000-series mainframe, you'll need at least one vertical preamp (7Axx) and one timebase (7Bxx). The mainframes offer a heckuva lot of options with regard to vertical amps, timebases, digital counters, logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers, etc. so that you can really expand the scope to do what you need. The mainframes are available with bandwidths anywhere from around 60 MHz (7403) to 500MHz (7904) or even 1GHz (7104), although I'd limit myself to 500MHz must because the 1GHz option is more expensive, harder to find and more difficult to maintain, etc.

Dean

I agree, Dean. I also have a 7603 mainframe (100MHz, I think) with a 7D20 Programmable Digitizer plug-in. It also works great, but I paid a bit more when I got it, than what it goes for now. I've always been real satisfied with it.
I don't really much care for the new Tek scopes, though. We had a dual channel, color scope at the community college where used to I student-teach, and I (and the instructor) found it relatively difficult to use. The newer HP's (43000 series, I think) were much easier to use, especially for the students. Although, I think for Clyd3's application, these are both way overpriced. JB

It's all very well drooling about massively expensive top end scopes, but they are rarely required. For most hobbiest use (and most professional use as well!) a cheap and simple scope is all that's required - 20MHz double beam will do most jobs.

I've got three scopes at home, an old Telequipment 10MHz double beam, an Hitachi 30MHz double beam, and a GW 20MHz double beam. Either of them are fine for any jobs I do, the GW is the most modern one, and that's the one I usually use - mainly because of where it's currently sat 8)

At work I use a Grundig 50MHz double beam, which replaced a Philips 10MHz double beam - 10MHz is getting a bit "long in the tooth" now for TV servicing.

thanks a lot guys, I've become much wiser :lol:

Yes, Nigel, Tektronix is the apex of the oscilloscope industry. But with all the digital scopes hitting the market like they are, the analog scopes are hitting the surplus barns and on-line auctions in astounding numbers. The prices for these used, top-quality, laboratory-grade oscilloscopes are usually less that the prices for low-quality, Asian imports of low-performance. I'll take a $500 Tek 7000-series system over a $500 Daewoo any day .... any day at all. Add to that the fact that the Tek equipment has available all the documentation you could possibly want. Often, you cannot find a source for repair or calibration information for the Asian imports, especially if they come from China or Korea. Even if you do have service documentation, getting specialized repair parts is another matter entirely. Money being equal, I'll take the older lab-grade equipment over new junk most of the time.

JB, I don't much like digital scopes either, but I find the Tek TDS220 to be a very friendly little beastie indeed. When our school bought two of them back around 1999 or so, Tek was selling these little 60MHz, 2GS/s scopes for just under $900, roughly half of what one of the old 15MHz analog Tek T922 scopes were when they were new back in 1977, and the TDS220 runs circles around its older brother. Normally I'll prefer an analog scope any day, but I've found that the digital storage and direct-to-printer options of the TDS220 to be very handy for illustrations in the curriculum I write. A picture is worth a thousand words, and the digital-to-printer interface is one heckuva lot nicer than using a scope camera with Polaroid film!

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back