Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buying a starter kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneaKSz

Hello , I'm going to buy the "PICkit 2 Starter Kit " . Link : Product Search - microchipDIRECT.

My question is : Can I send data to my PC via the PIC Kit 2 USB programmer?

Or do i have to buy an FTDI to transform serial communication to USB + a USB Connector??

Grtz

Hi,

Simple answer - No - you would have to send data from your Pickit2 on the serial lines to the PC, via a usb converter if you need that.

If you use chips like the 18F4550 then these have USB circuitry built in, but they do need a load of software in C to make it run, so its perhaps not a beginners project - all the software is free from Miicrochips site.

There is a simple way you can get data from your pic to the pc via the PK2 and thats to store the data in the chips EEprom memory, then you can read it back into the pc via the v2.61 standalone PK2 program

My question is : Can I send data to my PC via the PIC Kit 2 USB programmer?
If you want to see data on the PC you can use the pickit2 as a TTL (logic level) to USB converter. The limitation is that you can only view the data in the pickit2.exe application, You can not use the picKit2 for run control at the same time.

Last time I checked the picKit2 was a better buy.

Think about ordering a few chips at the same time.

Thanks for the replies , I"ll purchase the PICKit 2 and some Compatible 16F's , later I"ll make the USB Connector . Thanks !!

aha so its possible to read the E²PROM , and then use the data . But it isnt possible to use the data in a application in assembly /C ? You have to manually read those information en then process it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back